» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

review - Bruce and Walker Hexagraph 12'6" - 2.5tc

View previous topic View next topic Go down

review - Bruce and Walker Hexagraph 12'6" - 2.5tc

Post by Guest on Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:34 am

might be of interest to some?

i got these rods (pair) about five years ago in a 'swap' for some Hardy rods - previous owner had bought them off fleabay but never used them

they were in quite poor condition - the original owner had somehow got hold of the rod blanks and built them himself - had 'coloured' them badly to give the split cane look that is standard on factory rods - they had massive abbreviated cork handles as well

so they were sent to a rod builder to be stripped back to 'raw' carbon and re-rung with Fuji SIC low riders and abbreviated handles with Jap shrink tube - cost £200/rod

they had sat in the tackle room until last year when i started using them - reels are Shimano Big Blues and 30lb Powerpro braid

had quite a few fish on them up to just over 28lb - generally at short range ie up to 80yds

they are a pleasure to play fish the action is superb - very progressive but the 2.5tc 'rating' does not equate to the power they can exert if that makes sense?

now i'm not going to quote Bruce and Walkers 'spiel' (spelling?) - but being old enough to having been brought up on split cane rods i know that they have more 'power' than what i would call conventional tubular rod designs for the same test curve!

to me they feel equivalent to a 'modern' rod of say 3.5tc in their action/playing ability - casting wise i've never really 'wound' them up but a 3oz lead with a very easy 'chuck' will make a measured 100yds all day long

one thing that i noticed was 'accuracy' - now whilst i accept this is hard to quantify i did a few tests

chose a mark at various ranges from 25 - 75 yds and the comparison rod was an original Daiwa Infinity X 3.5 LD with the same reel/line combination - these are the rods i've used exclusively for the last 10yrs+

i'm not going to argue about 'spine/ovality' etc etc but at all ranges i was able to cast more accurately with the hexagraphs - significantly!

so my conclusions for what its worth?

are they worth the current market price of £999 each - absolutely not - what would i pay brand new? about £300/350

ebay sales of the Avon/Barbel type rods (Ray Walton) seem to be circa £500

minus points

a) heavy compared with modern rods which i assume is why they failed when initially introduced by B&W as fly rods?
b) very large diameter butt
c) cost

plus points

a) superb playing casting/action
b) going to be a talking point to everyone that sees them
c) owning probably the 'most expensive' carp rods in the world - lol!

will i sell them - no, they are a joy to use and own!

Back to top Go down

Re: review - Bruce and Walker Hexagraph 12'6" - 2.5tc

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:45 am

update - have now actually 'wound' them up

in the last week have been using them with 3oz leads - this morning cast approx 140yds with bait

how do i know 140yds ? - only put 150yds of 30lb Powerpro on the reels and the knot to the backing was visible!

overhead cast

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum