» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

tackle in the car and insurance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

tackle in the car and insurance

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:55 am

as its tackle related I thought this might be the place to post - but feel free to move

a friend has just been reading the small print on his insurance policy - tackle in 'transit' is covered provided its in a locked BOOT!

I can't think of any uk car that has a 'boot' big enough for carp rods?

on that basis it rules out all 'estate' cars?

its logical in respect that in the 'boot' its out of sight so not an obvious target for thieves? - would 'limo' tints be acceptable to conceal tackle?

I checked with a friend who is a golfer and the same conditions apply to golf clubs which do fit in most boots

does anybody who uses a roof box know their position especially as these are often used for continental trips?

trailers are obviously a no-no?

Back to top Go down

Re: tackle in the car and insurance

Post by chris63 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:30 am

Usually the intention of the insurance is that items are in a locked place out of site. Ie on estates the boot coverage area must be pulled over.
However as thefts (real and false) of fishing equipment are forever increasing you may find insurers will strictly enforce the wording. Basically as we all know, never leave equipment in an unattended vehicle.
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:56 am

thanks Chris

very true what you say

all I ever leave in the car are wellies/chair/cheap brolly etc - and I live in a very private rural cul de sac!

im still amazed to see posts that anglers have had a many £K set up stolen from a car parked overnight on the drive - for god's sake it takes no more than 10 minutes to load up in the morning!

I seriously have to question if these are 'genuine' thefts?

and as for 'thefts' from garages/sheds etc I again have to ask who in their right mind stores £K's worth of gear outside?

no wonder why insurance premiums for 'carp' tackle are so high?

I also trout/salmon fish using tackle at least if not more in value than a typical high end carp set up but my insurance premium is a 'few pounds' - these insurers state specifically NO CARP TACKLE will be covered

says really quite a lot about carp anglers?

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:11 pm

I understand why some anglers have to leave tackle in garages/sheds - I actually do so myself although to get to the garage you need to get past the pigs, birds and then dogs! - but having worked in insurance for years I do know that tackle claims had the reputation of being the most inflated or fraudulent of any time of personal insurance type, as yes Carp anglers were the worst.

As Nick says there is no excuse to leave tackle in a car overnight before a trip - it is asking for trouble irrespective of where you live.

I would also advise all "honest" anglers to take photo's of all their tackle against a "home" backdrop to prove you own it. Over the years most of us have built up a huge amount of stuff and are only like to have receipts for the last 12 months or so. If you have photo's to prove ownership it can make legitimate claims a lot quicker to settle.
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 pm

thanks Chris

I've a friend who is in insurance -every carp angler claim seems to have Basia's and Free spirit rods?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum