» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

The Special Album

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Special Album

Post by levigsp on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 pm

growler wrote:
levigsp wrote:What a great Photo and tale, you dont see many trophy shots like that these days.
Thank you for sharing.

I've always thought there is never a need for real tree uniforms that you see nowadays! Very Happy

A good story, amazing capture for the time...
Give me a Brora woolen mill tweed suit any day, complete with +fours Smile I save the real tree for stalking.

levigsp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:39 pm

Its great to see where carping came from, we know where it is now, I wonder where it is going in say, 25 years time?

Any ideas or thoughts?

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:08 am

HAPPYANGLERALEX wrote:Its great to see where carping came from, we know where it is now, I wonder where it is going in say, 25 years time?

Any ideas or thoughts?

It would be nice to think that in 25 years carp fishing wouldn't be too far removed from what it is now. My only concern would be that carping reflects the way our society is heading or indeed has become. By that I mean anti social behaviour, lack of respect and just downright bad manners. We seem, where I fish at least, to be resisting these problems for now but I guess if you spoke to someone else who perhaps fishes a day ticket or public water there could be a very different story.

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:48 pm

BrianR wrote:
HAPPYANGLERALEX wrote:Its great to see where carping came from, we know where it is now, I wonder where it is going in say, 25 years time?

Any ideas or thoughts?

It would be nice to think that in 25 years carp fishing wouldn't be too far removed from what it is now. My only concern would be that carping reflects the way our society is heading or indeed has become. By that I mean anti social behaviour, lack of respect and just downright bad manners. We seem, where I fish at least, to be resisting these problems for now but I guess if you spoke to someone else who perhaps fishes a day ticket or public water there could be a very different story.

Yes I suppose where you fish reflects society to a degree, I fish club, consortium, day ticket, and free, but so far have not joined a syndicate, although I can see the benefits of joining one.

As for day tickets you do meet some characters, good and bad, met an old boy 80+ yesterday who I helped to set up as he could hardly walk, arthritic ankles, and got chatting, he joined the army in 1946! served in east Africa, and told me "My dad still goes fishing, he is 106yrs old, and was in the paper as Britain's oldest angler" amazing.

Also so many guys suffering from pain and illness, much linked to smoking.

Also so many tradesmen fishing, due to a lack of work, and life long work dodgers.
As for the next 25yrs of otter and cormorant attacks, will there be any carp left?

Yes, day ticket carp lake life can be interesting, its a type of social get together/ confessional/political awareness, etc. Very Happy

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Special Album

Post by Chris Ball on Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 am

On the missing list for nearly two decades
What amazing creatures carp are (nearly as amazing as some who chase them.) This Redmire carp first slipped up July 1952 and provided Maurice Ingham with his first twenty-pounder - a glorious 24¾lb mirror. This weight was later shown to be slightly inaccurate, the fish probably weighed a little heavier. Then for 19 long years it appeared to vanish even though Redmire was fished by members of the Carp Catchers’ Club through to 1962 and then much more vigorously by the Jack Hilton syndicate from 1968 onwards.

It was Hilton himself who banked this long-lost carp in June 1971, it had by then grown into a whacker of 32½lb which provided some evidence that many of the Redmire carp had yet to fulfil their true potential weight-wise.

A further two years elapsed before the mirror slipped up again, this time to a new young pretender... Chris Yates, who recorded a weight of 29¾lb. He described the fish as so, ‘It was very large in frame, but rather hollow, an ancient, grey-flanked, almost prehistoric looking mirror carp. It possessed the widest tail span on any carp I’ve ever caught; seventeen inches across.’

Sadly, later that year the fish died.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Bennett on Wed May 01, 2013 9:46 am

It is a great picture you can almost feel the history seeping through, classic carp fishing in it's infancy, again thank you Mr. Ball

Paul Bennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu May 02, 2013 1:30 pm

Brilliant

Keep them coming Chris !!
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by growler on Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Stunning fish, and uncaught for 19 years! Although maybe lost a few times I would suspect.

Would I be right in thinking that it was also Rod Hutchinson caught it at a personal best weight than was then beaten we he had the big Craypool mirror?

The big Craypool fish being a monster subject in it's own right!

growler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Ball on Sun May 12, 2013 6:04 pm

growler wrote:Stunning fish, and uncaught for 19 years! Although maybe lost a few times I would suspect.

Would I be right in thinking that it was also Rod Hutchinson caught it at a personal best weight than was then beaten we he had the big Craypool mirror?

The big Craypool fish being a monster subject in it's own right!

Growler,
Not the same fish, the mirror you are thinking of first appeared in August 1967 when Roger Bowskill banked the beauty at 33lb. Rod landed it in August 1974 at 32lb 7oz - as you say it was a PB at the time for Rod.
Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Special Album

Post by Chris Ball on Wed May 15, 2013 10:02 am

The Copse Lake at Yateley
In 1981 it was thought the Copse Lake at Yateley held one big carp (though others were rumoured to exist) along with a number of small commons. Interestingly this big fish, later known as the Parrot, was almost certainly a survivor of a stocking that Colin Holmewood of Tri-Lakes carried out in 1967 when he leased both the Copse and Nursery lakes from the owners - the aggregates company of Hall & Co. A batch of 100 carp of 10lb-12lb were divided between Tri-Lakes the Copse and Nursery lakes.

However, Colin relinquished his lease on the Copse and Nursery only a couple of years later in 1969 and tried largely in vain to recover his fish from the two lakes. Anyone who knows these two pits will realise the difficultly of the job in hand, though I believe he was partly successful before they again became fisheries on the Hall & Company ticket.

Here is a rare picture of Chris Ridington holding the Parrot from the Copse Lake in 1981 at 30lb+. Chris was hugely success at Yateley landing 20 x 20lb from the Match Lake in 1980/1 season (the first to accomplish this feat) besides landing the North Lake mirror (later to become known as Bazil) at the first time of over 40lb in weight.

Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kensthename on Wed May 15, 2013 6:45 pm

Chris Ball wrote:
Jim wrote:I don't want to try and correct the carp guru that is Sir Chris Ball, but I thought Bazil originally come from the Sutton complex when the water levels was dangerously low it was moved to Yateley in 1975 at around 20lb. It was caught this year but I don't know what the weight was but the capture of it in 1976 at over 30lb did show he was doing very well it his new home and putting that wieght on.

Senior moment lads... what made me mention Bedfont in connection with Bazil god only knows, (getting confused with the Black Mirror from the Mere.) Have written about fish being moved from Sutton when it all but dried up in the mid 1970s to Yateley a number of times over the years. So I’ll correct the original text with the following:-
“One of the most enigmatic and revered carp in the rich heritage of carp fishing began life at Sutton in Kent during the 1960s.”
Must go a sit in the naughty corner for an hour!

Just for interest, this is a picture of Sutton at Hone when as stated it almost dried up in 1976 ish.

kensthename

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Bennett on Sat May 18, 2013 10:35 am

Mr. Ball, have you any old pictures or story’s of an angler by the name of Alf Engers, I can remember back in the late 1970's he was fishing a lake we were on we were still using maggots worms & I was experimenting with sausage meat special’s this guy was light years in front of us & gave us the ingredients for robin red boilies, & a few years later showed us the hair rig, which at the time upped our catch rate no end, I know he used to live in North London & was a leading light in the cycling world we lost touch a bit in the 1990’s, but as a youngster at the time I was very impressed by the way he angled & the fish he caught, here’s hoping you have a story from the archives.

Regards Paul.

Paul Bennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Ball on Sat May 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Paul Bennett wrote:Mr. Ball, have you any old pictures or story’s of an angler by the name of Alf Engers, I can remember back in the late 1970's he was fishing a lake we were on we were still using maggots worms & I was experimenting with sausage meat special’s this guy was light years in front of us & gave us the ingredients for robin red boilies, & a few years later showed us the hair rig, which at the time upped our catch rate no end, I know he used to live in North London & was a leading light in the cycling world we lost touch a bit in the 1990’s, but as a youngster at the time I was very impressed by the way he angled & the fish he caught, here’s hoping you have a story from the archives.

Regards Paul.

Paul,
Will give info on Alf Engers is the next Special Album contribution... Some angler is our Alf.
Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Bennett on Sun May 19, 2013 9:55 am

Looking forward to that Chris many thanks.

Regards Paul.

Paul Bennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Hi, this is all very interesting, so when was the first English carp caught and recorded?, pre Richard walker, perhaps national service days?

for younger posters, NS was fun. Very Happy
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Special Album

Post by Chris Ball on Wed May 29, 2013 9:00 am

Alf Engers
In most things Alf Engers has turned his hand to he was successful, be it in the bakery profession, (apprentice to his father) to becoming a national and flamboyant celebrity of the world of cycling. Alf set national records and won the national individual time trial championships from 1959 to the late 1970s. He established a British 25-mile (40 km) record of 49mins 24secs in 1978, averaging 30.364mph (49.190km/h). He was the first rider to beat 50 minutes and thus the first to average more than 30mph. Remember this was well before carbon fibre bike chassis, streamline clothing, etc. For sure Alf had a raw talent for speed cycling that few had seen before.

His angling achievements in the world of carp fishing were no less spectacular, he was making a name for himself in Kent during the 1960s landing many fine carp including the tenth largest reported carp of 1969 with a 27¼lb mirror. He was a very active member of the South East London Specimen Group which at the time which included top carp men like Pete Badley, Dave Hayes, Dave Rudd and Pete Cranstoun. Indeed his carp angling prowess enabled him the became a member of Jack Hilton’s Redmire Pool syndicate in 1970 - Alf was witness to Pete Badley’s fabulous Redmire common of 31lb. Also in 1970 Alf Engers landed one of only a few carp ever taken (a 16-pounder) from the famous Billing Aquadrome. He was also was a regular at emerging top carp water of the mid 1960s - the Electricity Cut at Peterborough - and landed the then new river record carp of 33¾lb for his pal Peter Hemingway.

Alf is now over 70 years of age and still carp fishing, spending time in the Cambridgeshire area at places like Eggetts. A great bloke who I have known for over 40 years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alf in his hey-day of National Individual Time Trial Cycling and (insert) pictured at Eggetts a few years ago.
Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Bennett on Wed May 29, 2013 10:16 am

Nice one Chris, good to know he still out there angling.

Regards

Paul.

Paul Bennett

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sweetcorn Kid on Wed May 29, 2013 10:36 am

Wonderful, thanks Mr Ball. Cool

The Sweetcorn Kid

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu May 30, 2013 5:13 am

Great stuff Chris !!

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Ball on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:06 am

Thames carp
There is little doubt in my mind that the river Thames is the biggest carp water in the country. Besides introductions of carp stretching back to the late 1800s plus innumerable stockings during floodwater conditions where carp have swam from lakes and pits into the river has made (in places) stocks of carp well worth going for.

Over the years I’ve acquired many decent pictures of worthwhile carp from the Thames from Peter Stone with carp to 20lb besides whoppers such a 35-pounder from the Tidal stretch.

Jim Rawcliffe who was responsible years ago for the bait company Tails Up lived for many years close to the river in the London area and during that period of time captured many fine fish including this rather splendid 20lb+ linear.

Despite the ever present dilemma of individuals stealing carp (many of them for food) plus all manner of other problems such as predators, boat traffic damage etc, the carp of the river Thames continue to be caught by diligent anglers who want a challenge away from stillwaters.

Jim Rawcliffe with a super Tidal Thames linear mirror weighing over 20lb.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:12 pm

got to agree Thames carp are free carp, not locked away in a lake.

years ago a secret place for big Thames carp was a outflow at Chelsea and around the boats at Chelsea harbor/creek

The English carp record may well be swimming in the Thames.
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Special Album

Post by Chris Ball on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:36 am

From little acorns...

For a fish that once resided in the garden pond of a notable angler this mirror carp had quite a life-changing moment when it was netted, removed then transported someway to be released into a haven of water of nearly 100-acres in size. 

What am I talking about... well it’s the celebrated carp known as King Fungus that resides in Wraysbury No 1.

You can read all about what happened to this carp and others in Chris Haswell’s excellent book, Happy Days. Suffice to say the entire contents of his garden pond were sold for £600.00, this included seven carp which had a kind of fungus on them that displayed itself in a hue across their backs, shoulders and slightly down their flanks.

The day it was stocked into Wraysbury No 1 (released into the Swimming Pool area) by the then Leisure Sport Angling boss Ian Welch the fish weighed 11lb - blimey here is a picture of the beast when Phil Bunyan landed it many years later at 47lb.

... mighty trees grow

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/URL]
Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:28 am

Chris,

Is King Fugus dead ?

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:07 am

No
Kevin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Special Album

Post by Chris Ball on Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:38 am

Peter Frost
To those that may not have heard of Pete Frost before - he is a big fish angler from way back landing many specimen fish from the early 1960s onwards. In June 1960 he captured the largest reported carp of the 1960/1 season, a grand mirror of 31lb. Though never an out and out carpman, he has never the less banked some very nice fish along the way. One which stands out (besides the 31-pounder of course) was landed in summer of 1967.

One evening he was walking the banks of a known big fish water, Westbrook Mere, assessing the pool’s potential and then settled into one of his rare all-night sessions. Around 7.30 the next morning he landed a nice 18-pounder on floating crust. Then a couple of weeks later he went again to the pool, this time for a day visit and a frustrating time it must have been for him for carp were swirling and bubbling all over the place, but no chance presented itself.

At home that evening his mind was in a turmoil - he just had to get one of those fish. Within the hour he was back at the pool. Now darkness had fallen as he settled in his pitch. A reflection of light on the surface showed bursts of bubbles rising, so attaching a huge lobworm to the hook he cast in the vicinity of the culprit. Twenty minutes later Pete was gazing down at this cracking 23lb 10oz mirror. A nice result for the effort involved.

I know Pete is not too well at present so I wish him all the best.

Chris Ball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum