» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

Camping or Fishing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Camping or Fishing

Post by BrianR on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:39 am

So, very well known, sponsored angler appears in Carp-Talk on two or three consecutive weeks, pictured with very nice looking big carp which, by his own admission were caught over 30 kilos of free offerings. Now to those of us who have to pay for our bait that's £300 worth of bait give or take, I don't use that much in a year!! I phoned a mate who fishes the same water and asked how they competed with it, he replied that they couldn't because said sponsored angler virtually lives on the lake. Is it good angling on the part of Mr Well Known or is it camping and boring them out?

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Camping or Fishing

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi,

its fishing, but not as we know it, and the guy must live a very lonely life, perhaps married to a carp.

Just be happy with your home/job life, and the odd bit of carping, and leave the bank tramps to their sad lives.

As for skill, without the free bait, would he have caught, perhaps not.

This mass baiting seems to be a growing trend, to get the carp on a particular bait, so the only chance we have got is to find out what it is, buy a bag, use it and hope. Very Happy
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:50 am

Alex, I am extremely happy with my life/job etc, apart perhaps from getting up at 4am to meet an early shift!! My kids have grown up and moved out, I have a very carp angling tolerent missus so I pretty much get to go when I want but I'm always glad to get home after a couple of days, so I can go again, with my meagre kilo bag of paid for boilies (or two). Even now after all these years I still get excited about going fishing and wake up far too early etc etc, full timers will never know that because they're already there! I guess it's the life they choose for themselves but I don't believe that there's much in the way of skill involved in turning up, sitting in the going swim filling it in with free bait and waiting until something hangs itself. There are of course full time anglers who are not banktramps, who do go home after a reasonable session if only to clean up replenish and regroup, and I think we all know who they are, whos skill is not for one moment in doubt.
Thanks for responding by the way Alex.

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Does filling a lake in with bait guarantee fish? the answer as we all know is no. It is about the right application of bait, at the right time and in the right place.

Yes, if we could afford the volume of bait used by said angler, there may be times when we would benefit, but we would still need to know the venue, have the watercraft to chose the correct swim and then place our bait effectively so it is chosen by the fish out of the 1000+ bollies surrounding it.

I am not defending said angler, but feel the mass baiting approach can't be the sole reason for the volume of fish he catches - he must be doing otherthings right as well!

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:50 am

Hi Chris, You are quite right, there are other pieces to the jigsaw besides bait but one persons idea of watercraft differs from another. How many lakes do you know have 'going' swims? Sit and watch anglers fishing those swims for long enough and the 'spots' will be identified, the unscrupulous angler then just slides in there with his 30k of bait when the swim eventually becomes empty and capitalizes on other peoples work and knowledge. Of course in the next magazine article that our superstar writes we will all be enlightened as to his astonishing angling skills and expected to be in awe. Sometimes though people just get lucky, imagine turning up at a lake that you rarely, if ever fish, 'pub chucking' a bait out and catching a massive moggie, can you imagine that? lol

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:36 am

Brian - are you suggesting I'm a "pub chucker" lol - my moggie was pure watercraft - on my two previous occaisions on the water i saw anglers lose a fish from that swim - I therefore new there was a patrol route through there, i filled it in with halibut pellets, then sat back to reap the rewards - perfect watercraft and observation lol Very Happy
I do however totally agree with your comments regarding some alleged "superstars".

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoney on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:27 pm

Brian, what sort of size is this lake ?

View user profile http://www.stoneyandfriends.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:59 pm

CELL £11.50 a bag frozen.

HALIBUT PELLETS £4/5 a bag and can be dipped in anything.
At the moment I am doing chocolate.

I do budget fishing, [no sponsor] and just enjoy finding magic dips in Tesco world food section.

That's part of my enjoyment, finding that magic unknown taste the fish will go mad for.

Happy days.

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:14 am

Chris, I don't doubt your angling prowess one iota, you fish whisperer! You should have praise (and free bait) heaped upon you. Your skills are legendary, I have heard the stories of you layed face down in the mud (listening for fish movement)??

Stoney, Roughly the size of Redmire. Word has it that the water level raises one inch per kilo of bait, which is why the angler in question fishes in chest waders If I fished it I would have to include snorkel and mask!!!

Alex, If only 'larks vomit' was real. Imaging, larks vomit munga, now that would be pukka. Ooh listen to me being all 'carpy' I'll qualify for free bait and admiration soon!

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:27 am

have not seen or heard a lark for years, where have they all gone?

Saw 3 buzzards high on the thermals on monday, must be spring.
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 am

Chris, I don't doubt your angling prowess one iota, you fish whisperer! You should have praise (and free bait) heaped upon you. Your skills are legendary, I have heard the stories of you layed face down in the mud (listening for fish movement)??

lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:55 pm

Ah Buzzards, that brings back memories. I remember the first set of buzzards that I ever owned they were Optonic compacts, just sort of squawked. My present buzzards are ATTS and I cannot fault them Laughing

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm

BrianR wrote:Ah Buzzards, that brings back memories. I remember the first set of buzzards that I ever owned they were Optonic compacts, just sort of squawked. My present buzzards are ATTS and I cannot fault them Laughing

yes but can they fly to 10,000 feet? and how did you get them to sit on your buzz bar? Very Happy

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:58 pm

I just screw them on of course, like any other buzzard.

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum