» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

your type of carp fishing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

your type of carp fishing

Post by Onslow on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:06 pm

What is it? small intimate estate lake or big expanse of water to test your wits against?

for me it would be a small silty estate lake every time, lots of old overhanging trees, maybe a few pads but plenty of character Cool
Onslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: your type of carp fishing

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm

Onslow wrote:What is it? small intimate estate lake or big expanse of water to test your wits against?

for me it would be a small silty estate lake every time, lots of old overhanging trees, maybe a few pads but plenty of character Cool

hi,
I fish a variety of lakes, small and intimate, where stealth plays a part, margin and just off lily pads,etc. under tip,

up to a large lake, 1,113 yds x 878 yds where casting a lead as far as I can but cannot see the other end of lake.

I find that casting a lead as far as possible, into the "unknown", is fascinating, because you never know whats out there.

but any situation away from the party carpers, and surrounded by nature, can be very pleasurable, as I, like most anglers, go for peace and quiet and the "greenery"

HAA

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[img][/img]
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigbadjon on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:03 am

Love fishing lakes with a bit of the unknown, fish with no names and all that, Unfortunatly they are few and far between nowadays

Bigbadjon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:26 am

Peace and quiet, friendly members and the chance to bait spots, stalk fish and move swims without too much restriction.

Actual type of angling really doesn't bother me - have fished waters from tiny ponds to inland seas and enjoyed them all.
Kevin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Kevin wrote:Peace and quiet, friendly members and the chance to bait spots, stalk fish and move swims without too much restriction.

Actual type of angling really doesn't bother me - have fished waters from tiny ponds to inland seas and enjoyed them all.

hi, I have had two trips to France, carping, same lake both times, first time excellent-second time useless. (Nash lake)

Fishing in France seems a hit and miss situation and its not cheap however you go.
checking on some of the catch reports, from France, it can be better in your own back yard.

HAA

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigger on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:41 pm

A small lake in the Test valley, 2Lb Barbel rods and carp up to about 17lb that take off like an F1 car. Great fun without the fuss of waiting a lifetime for the "big one".
Tigger

View user profile http://seonag-racing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:25 pm

Club members and I on a recent carping session. I am 3rd from left into one.
Please ignore ghost in background left.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gloucesteroldspot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:48 pm

For many years I avoided real carp waters (where you find 'real' carp anglers!) in favour of lesser fished ponds and estate lakes, where the carp were rarely very big and often ignored. Then I got the bug for bigger fish and evolved into something like a modern carp angler, complete with big pit reels and all the 'essential' paraphenalia - what Gierach called the full catastrophe.

However, I never really let go of my love for simpler times, when we would fish with freelined flake or maybe a light link leger with particles, but the contradiction bothered me and I spent some time trying to work out what carp fishing meant to me. In the end I stopped altogether, unable to rationalise the paradox.

These days I just enjoy carp fishing, whatever form it takes; I'm just as happy fishing a small water with a cane MkIV or glass Hilton rod, Mitchell and simple tactics as I am taking on a more challenging lake with all the technology at my disposal, though I still try to keep things as simple as I can.

What I don't like are crowds, noise, unpleasant surroundings (and this includes those dreadful purpose-made swims laid out with hoggin or hardcore, on which it is impossible to move about quietly and which invariably require the use of a pod) or featureless muddy holes in the ground. Worst of all, I hate ridiculous rules. I often have no intention of using boilies or braid or pellets or method feeders anyway, but that's not the point. Fishing should not be about petty restrictions.

If a water is fairly secluded, not over-populated with carp anglers, has some points of interest - features, snaggy margins, weedbeds, lilies etc - and contains any carp at all, whatever their size, I'm happy fishing there.

gloucesteroldspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:17 am

Like most I love the peace and quiet and natural surroundings, though it's becoming increasingly important to me that my chosen venue is a friendly one. Last season I returned to the club lake where I started carp fishing many years ago and have nothing but happy memories of the place. It is now possibly the most unfriendly place I have ever fished, needless to say I won't be renewing my membership, ever!

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:03 am

Sadly going back to places with fond memories never works - but finding venues with character, peace and quiet, and pleasant to be at is getting neigh on impossible unless you have a huge wad of money!! Crying or Very sad
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:47 pm

You're dead right Chris, we're always being told that you should never go back and that was certainly true for me. It will be nice to find a water like you describe with the addition of no wannabes, no sycophants, no name droppers, no punishers, no liars, no full timers, everyone talks to you and makes you a cuppa in the winter, gives you a cold cidre in the summer, helps you with your barrow, helps you set up, goes for the chinky nosh/indian, packs everything away and takes it back to the van when it's raining and then drives you home so that you can finish your cidre!! Know anywhere???

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:50 pm

sadly no - if only!!!! but does sound perfect lol
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 pm

BrianR wrote:You're dead right Chris, we're always being told that you should never go back and that was certainly true for me. It will be nice to find a water like you describe with the addition of no wannabes, no sycophants, no name droppers, no punishers, no liars, no full timers, everyone talks to you and makes you a cuppa in the winter, gives you a cold cidre in the summer, helps you with your barrow, helps you set up, goes for the chinky nosh/indian, packs everything away and takes it back to the van when it's raining and then drives you home so that you can finish your cidre!! Know anywhere???

shangri-la, utopia, paradise, rolled into one, the perfect lake, with large shoals of tench.

surrounded by nature.

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianR on Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:49 am

As a fully paid up member of the Tenchfishers I wouldn't be too sad about the 'large shoals of tench', just as long as they were big and were taken out in August!!
Laughing

BrianR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by norwich lad on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:29 pm

The river's can be dead quiet (after the 1st month of opening rush!) to fish i mainly river carp fish as im not into lake fishing that much. the fishing can be very rewarding when it all come's off.
norwich lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:40 pm

As can the canals !!

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 pm

MATE rang me up, did I fancy a days carping, in the, freezing ice and snow and wind, in a ice cold lake, where nothing was coming out?

I declined his offer. Laughing

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chasing the dream...

Post by Gary Bills on Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:39 am

It strikes me that Walker and the CCC were living in a Nirvana-time: not many folks interested in catching carp combined with unpressured lakes and ponds.This is not to belittle their achievements in any way; I'm merely saying that things were different then. The problem is, a good many of us have bought into the dream, and the dream is increasingly hard to find. I'd dabbled with canal carp as a youngster; in the late Seventies and Eighties, carp were still mysterious. I dabbled for carp again on a medieval moat in the early years of this century, then fell headlong into obsession in 2009, during a spell of redundancy. Carp fishing then became my "other life": I'm sure a good many folks know what I mean by that. The problem is, I wanted a specific kind of carp fishing - the traditional sort. I'd used cane carp rods at the moat - but encountering slightly larger carp at a farm pond prompted me to switch back to carbon, and glass. Eight years on, I'm still into free-lining for carp close in - stalking, float fishing and not using the hair. I catch plenty of carp - not big ones, - not at all, by the magazine standards, but enough to put a smile on my face. The problem is, there are terrible divisions growing in the modern scene. Commercial carp fishing cannot be the same experience as that enjoyed Walker and his Joyous Crew. Carp that are programmed to eat pellets and boilies are not acting in a natural way, for instance. Each to their own, folks will say - and yes, I agree with that- but it's getting hard, painfully hard, to find waters that are geared to the traditional approach, where watercraft and stealth come into play. Each to their own - but we traditionalists are not being left alone, because our waters are being destroyed for commercial reasons. Let me give you a few examples, from my own experience. I visited my local fishing tackle shop a few weeks ago, to be given two disturbing reports.
1.  A snaggy carp pond I love is to be drained. All the immaculate doubles will be dumped into a nearby match/bagging pond where most of the fish, by contrast, have damaged lips and split fins. The many snags in 'my' pond will be removed by digger, then it will be refilled and used as a stock pond for the match pool - F1s are not an impossibility! A chain-link fence and CCTV will then surround a pool I've loved... a lovely, isolated and mysterious place.
2. A farmer plans to fill in two Victorian-era farm ponds where I've had nice runs of doubles in the past. I no longer fish these pools all that often - perhaps once or twice a year, but I've launched a battle to save them. The county planning officer is now involved. No planning applications have been received but some damaging preparation work has already been carried out by the farmer, it seems. I plan to stop him.

My point is - such awful events will inevitably push the traditional carper towards the commercial scene. But will he or she be welcomed there? I wonder - given a recent claim, for instance, that catching carp off the top is "cheating!" In fact, taking a carp off the top, in my view, is the 'dry fly' end of carp angling - the highest and most pleasurable achievement.

I've three interesting sessions lined up for this autumn: each one at a water that's more or less natural and traditional. I have something to look forward to. But I'm scratching my head about where to find a regular water for next year....
If it's a commercial-style water, I'm just not interested. I've seen and heard too much for that, I am afraid.

Gary Bills

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoney on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 pm

That's a great read Gary, all be it rather sad the way Carp fishing is going Sad

View user profile http://www.stoneyandfriends.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Bills on Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:14 pm

Stoney wrote:That's a great read Gary, all be it rather sad the way Carp fishing is going Sad

Thanks Stoney. So far I've managed to get the county's enforcement officer to agree to visit one of the pools, because substantial work has already been carried out there which, so I understand, lacked planning permission.

Gary Bills

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum