» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

50MM butt ring

View previous topic View next topic Go down

50MM butt ring

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:12 pm

50MM

Hi

Just took delivery of a carp rod with 50mm but ring, my first, not expensive, to try/practice some long casting, as I normally cast up to 70/80yds, and need to get over the 100yds plus on a large lake.

got to say it looks unnaturally large and out of kilter with rest of rod, and a bit OTT.

so will my 50mm butt ring add many yds to my distance, or is it all hype?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

HAA
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 50MM butt ring

Post by Mark on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Not really, they do help with thicker lines and flouro but all !2lb lines on the market should hit 100yds easily, if you cannot do this then try lessons to improve technique. !00yds should be easy with 2.75 tc rod on 40mm quides, %0mm will really come into there own at far bigger distances.
Mark

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Mark wrote:Not really, they do help with thicker lines and flouro but all !2lb lines on the market should hit 100yds easily, if you cannot do this then try lessons to improve technique. !00yds should be easy with 2.75 tc rod on 40mm quides, %0mm will really come into there own at far bigger distances.

Hi,
to fully lash out a rod needs confidence as always in the back of your mind is a crack and a smashed rod.

The rod I bought for practice is expendable, but if it had cost £350+ it would stop me from really giving it all I have got as some guys on DVDs do, I suppose it all boils down to confidence in the rod and your bank account.

Anyway, having checked distances on Google earth I will give it a good go to try to get up to 125yds.

HAA

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow on Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Get yourself a lesson with Terry Edmonds to find out what you doing wrong and watch you distance increase from start of lession to end of it!!

Shadow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Shadow wrote:Get yourself a lesson with Terry Edmonds to find out what you doing wrong and watch you distance increase from start of lession to end of it!!

hi, checked him out on you tube, very interesting, and will apply his technique when casting for distance.

ref 50mm butt ring, he says,

""Friction between the line and the rod rings is a big hindrance to casting. It’s one that you can’t avoid but you can minimise. A 50mm butt ring, for example, (as explained in the In The Know feature on page 98) will help to funnel the line from the reel down into the rings with less friction than a 40mm butt ring. I get asked a lot whether a 50mm butt ring helps and I look at it as follows. A larger butt ring may not help you cast further, but it certainly won’t hinder you. A 40mm butt ring on the other hand can be a hindrance in some circumstances, so if you are going to be using a distance rod then it’s foolish not to have a 50mm butt if you have the option.""

have been out practice casting and am now up to 100 yds, from 75yds, only 25yds to go to my target distance. Very Happy
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:46 am

Many people underestimate how far 100 yards actually is. Furthermore, assume casting a bare 4oz lead, will be the same as casting a baited rig. Just adding a 4 inch hooklength and bait will reduce your distance considerably.

To overcome both these assumptions, lay out 2 banksticks the width of your rod and wrap your line around them 15 times and clip up. This will give you 100 yards to the tip of your rod.

Hitting the clip is key! Cast out your bare lead until you hit the clip; I guarantee you'll drop short on your first attempt. Eventually, you'll get the release angle, technique etc right and you'll start hitting the clip regularly.

Once you have achieved this, add a baited rig and try it again. Suddenly you won't be hitting the clip anymore.

Obviously, some people will naturally be able to cast further than others, so adjust the distance around the banksticks accordingly until you feel comfortable you can hit the clip everytime.

Remember, there's a difference between hitting the clip and controlling the leads descent and blindly drilling you lead into the lake.

Regards

Admin

View user profile http://stoneyandfriends.forumfree.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi thanks for info,

using recommended casting technique have increased distance 25yds to 100yds having measured a swim to swim 100yds opposite bank, on a lake I fish, on google earth, using the practice rod, 12ft-50mm butt ring-2.75-20z lead-10lb line and a non big pit shimano reel.

Have a big pit reel on way, windcast-5000s which should help with distance. But got to agree its all about technique not strength. As is most things. Very Happy
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:29 pm

To overcome both these assumptions, lay out 2 banksticks the width of your rod and wrap your line around them 15 times and clip up. This will give you 100 yards to the tip of your rod

#Which means you'll actually be casting a lot less than 100yards, as that line will be bowed as the lead lands.
Kevin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigger on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Many years ago I was trying to get some wheel weights from a tyre depot, for bullet casting, and they said that one of their fitters took the lot to make up 4 oz leads as he was into the beach casting competitions. He then said that the 50lb shock leader snapped during one cast and the lead when through the side of an ice cream van nearly 400 yards away. I know that it was only alloy sheeting on the side, but I wouldn't have liked to be hit by one. My only near miss fishing has been a mackeral that nearly hit a carper on the opposite side of the lake, it went double the distance that my lead did.
Tigger

View user profile http://seonag-racing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigbadjon on Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:21 pm

Lol that would be a sight to behold, a flying mackerel slapping someone in the face 

Bigbadjon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum