» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

lets talk circle hooks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

lets talk circle hooks?

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 pm

anyone using them?

currently using the Eagle Claw E702 for specimen roach - tried others previously that were not 'true' circles eg the Guru QM1

found them to be superb in a short (4" hooklink) size 14 with double maggot to Reflo Power 0.17mm (6lb 12oz)

hookholds are superb needing the forceps every time as they are hooked in the scissors and i'm too blind to unhook any other way!

the golden rule is you do NOT strike otherwise you miss every bite - i use a bow string tight line to carp type bobbins with a 9" 'drop' (10lb powerpro mainline and 14lb powergum 'leader)

basically let the indicator tighten until the rod bounces in the rests and just lift into the fish - job done

for drop backs give them a bit of time and just 'wind down' - again job done

hope this helps or is of interest?

Back to top Go down

Re: lets talk circle hooks?

Post by Bob on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:36 pm

nick,

I use Owner circle hooks for my Boilie/Chub Fishing, but you can only get them down to size 10s and at the moment only to size 8s.

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:50 pm

Bob wrote:nick,

I use Owner circle hooks for my Boilie/Chub Fishing, but you can only get them down to size 10s and at the moment only to size 8s.

Bob

Bob

pm me your details and i'll send you some of the Eagle Claw E702 in 10/12/14 for you to try

am sure you will love them - lol!

trying to sort out bulk buy - will keep all informed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:39 pm

so - only Bob and i use circle hooks?

shame this forum is not going 'forward' - the old die hards clinging on the the remnants of semtex?

maybe when semtex finally gives its last pathetic 'kick' we might find more decent contributors on here?

Back to top Go down

Post by Blonde_Tim on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:29 pm

nick h wrote:
maybe when semtex finally gives its last pathetic 'kick' we might find more decent contributors on here?

Lets hope so.

though i still do go on the cemex site.

only ever used circle hooks when game fishing, so cant really comment on using smaller sizes. would be interested in looking at them for perch though as i intend to do a bit after them thisyear.
Blonde_Tim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Salt on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:07 pm

I use circle hooks exclusively for pike with excellent hook up to run ratio, with every one hooked in the scissors. I have also experimented using them for eels with mixed results. The downside for eels is the amount of time that the run has to be left prior to striking-I lost a couple of fish because they had swam through thick weed and could not be extricated. Consequently, it's back to barbless size 7s, hair rigged baits and instant strike for eels

Mark Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Mark Salt wrote:I use circle hooks exclusively for pike with excellent hook up to run ratio, with every one hooked in the scissors. I have also experimented using them for eels with mixed results. The downside for eels is the amount of time that the run has to be left prior to striking-I lost a couple of fish because they had swam through thick weed and could not be extricated. Consequently, it's back to barbless size 7s, hair rigged baits and instant strike for eels

Mark,

Same thing with Perch.

They can also be shy biters and I'm not sure they work that well with live baits ?

Give it one more go !!

Bob

Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Salt on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:24 am

Bob wrote:
Mark Salt wrote:I use circle hooks exclusively for pike with excellent hook up to run ratio, with every one hooked in the scissors. I have also experimented using them for eels with mixed results. The downside for eels is the amount of time that the run has to be left prior to striking-I lost a couple of fish because they had swam through thick weed and could not be extricated. Consequently, it's back to barbless size 7s, hair rigged baits and instant strike for eels

Mark,

Same thing with Perch.

They can also be shy biters and I'm not sure they work that well with live baits ?

Give it one more go !!

Bob

I shall not be using them for eels again, as there is too big a chance of leaving a hook in a fish if they are lost in weed: circles (even barbless ones) are devils to remove, and I do not reckon an eel will be able to do its usual hook shedding trick with them. Also, they are useless for the occasions when the eels are in a finicky mood, as they rely on being well into the mouth to gain a hookhold on exit. I have had quite a few big eels (6+) now by touch legering when I get little knock and pulls, and striking at them. This is impossible with circles, as they rely on being well down and a slow tightening up to engage them in the scissors. That said, on one night I had a brace of 4s on circles, both hooked perfectly in the bottom jaw. I can see the logic in using them for perch and zander, as they are ideal to avoid deep hooking, hence my preference for 1/0s for pike. I understand that it is crtitical to remove any offset in the hook to avoid it catching on the way out, and have always done this since starting using them: I believe that this has aided my (so far) avoidance of deep hooked pike.

Mark Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 am

thanks for your comments guys - interesting topic

as i said i'm using them for 'big' roach

yesterday had one of 1lb 6oz - not huge but getting better!

been again this morning for two hours - 7 - 9am

only the first hour or so after dawn is productive unless there is a big wind blowing - also last two hours of daylight

sadly water has a 7am start and dusk finish time - how i'd love to fish in the dark as in the 'golden days' on Clumber!

had 6 fish today before 8am - best just over 1lb - and a 'snotty'

only 2 more by 9am when i packed up

about 9" drop on bobbins all bar one were lifts to the rod with it literally bouncing in the rests

the 'pleasure anglers' are using 18/20 hooks to say 2lb line with quivertips and getting 1" twitches?

my 'heavy' gear is balanced and providing great hookholds/indication

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:46 am

Nick,

I think the thing about circle hooks, the fish have to move off to set the hook.

So even slow hold in their Chub lips bites work with circles, but really shy biting ( at this time off the year ) Perch bites are hard to convert, as the Perch drop the baits before they take them into their mouths.

And that is with really senitive rigs and very light drop off set ups.

I have caught hundreds of Chub on circles hooks and bolt rigs, where the the slightest of movement will set the hook once inside the mouth.

Bob

Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 pm

thanks Bob

i presume with perch your using 'lives'?

something i'm not really qualified to comment upon

so, you are finding that perch drop the bait upon feeling resistance - makes sense?

perch to me are an annoying anathema - sometimes suicidal or at times could steal the wallet from your back pocket and you'd never feel a thing - lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Nick,

I think with Perch, it's more about the time of the year, Summer they can be suicidal, come the winter they are very difficult to catch or convert using livebaits.

Fishing the Lea which now seems to have the whole bottom of the river covered with Crayfish I use Livebaits, up in the water, as it seems to sort out the Bigger Perch.

Bottom bait don't last two minutes, although baits up in the water work well enough.

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigger on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:44 pm

One of the Cornish salmon clubs recommends circle hooks as there are less fatalities with the salmon that they milk (is that the right expression, sounds better than m@sterb@te?)
Tigger

View user profile http://seonag-racing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Mark, can I ask please, how you fish the bait with circle hooks for Pike?
If I'm being too cheeky by all means tell me to sling my treble! Otherwise if you'd prefer, PM.
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:14 pm

nick h wrote:so - only Bob and i use circle hooks?

shame this forum is not going 'forward' - the old die hards clinging on the the remnants of semtex?

"SEMTEX"

were you in the ARMY/IRA? a FREUDIAN SLIP? Shocked
HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Salt on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 am

MooseMan wrote:

Mark, can I ask please, how you fish the bait with circle hooks for Pike?
If I'm being too cheeky by all means tell me to sling my treble! Otherwise if you'd prefer, PM.

No need to sling your treble-I use a short hair attached to wrist of tail irrespective of size and allow a suitable length of time to elapse before tightening up. Works for 6" roach to big whole herring. One critical point-any offset in the hook needs to be bent out so that hook profile is completely in line and in the same plane, as offset causes point of hook to kick out and catch in tissue before it reaches the scissors. I am currently using VMC 1/0s for pike.

Mark Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:36 am

Thanks Mark I appreciate it.

I like this idea very much, on paper it seems to have very, very low odds for deep hooked fish which is my primary goal in a Piking setup.

I should imagine the rig casts very well too, setup this way. Much like the casting clip setup I use for distance with the bait attached via the tail root to a loop of line, so the bait can really be whacked without fear of casting it off.

Having not used circles before, when you say "Any offset needs to be bent out" do you do this cold or heat the hook first?
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Salt on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:55 am

MooseMan wrote:Thanks Mark I appreciate it.

I like this idea very much, on paper it seems to have very, very low odds for deep hooked fish which is my primary goal in a Piking setup.

I should imagine the rig casts very well too, setup this way. Much like the casting clip setup I use for distance with the bait attached via the tail root to a loop of line, so the bait can really be whacked without fear of casting it off.

Having not used circles before, when you say "Any offset needs to be bent out" do you do this cold or heat the hook first?

I do this with the hook cold, and the offset seems to stay out. The most disconcerting part of the process is leaving the run for what appears to be far too long. I missed the first few takes using this method completely, as the bait had not been completely engulfed. I have now got used to tightening up and feeling the bait being pulled back up into the mouth of the pike! I use braid, so can feel this happening: mono will be less scary, I guess.

Mark Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 am

I shall get some hooks and try this (On one rod, anyway!) method this winter Mark, thank you.

I'll probably struggle mentally with leaving a take to develop too long as well, so it should be interesting! I like to use what most would consider big baits too, so I guess I have a bit of a learning curve coming...

I'm a braid user too.

MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum