» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

arm the police?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

arm the police?

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 pm

i know emotions are running high after Manchester!

but 'we' have a few serving officers - i'd like to hear their views

i've a few friends who are in the 'job' and views differ quite drastically

the 'beat' cops do not want the responsibility of carrying firearms - another who is a firearms officers thinks they should all be armed?

discuss?

Back to top Go down

Re: arm the police?

Post by Chiz on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:43 pm

If we arm every officer I think it will cause the scum to use firearms more.

I think we need to start at the root of the problem. This country is so soft with its political rights and not being able to afford to lock all the criminals up. I like most people work hard for my home, Internet, sky, food etc but if it went pear shaped I would be happy to get locked up. Prison should be hard labour and paying a debt to society. I agree with helping people out but if a convict does a course while locked up do they pay for it when they are released and have a job or do us tax payers foot the bill?

This is just my opinion by the way.

Chiz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlybob on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:45 pm

Other Countrys do, this country has moved on , were are no longer in the
leave your door open era, i say arm them.
and bring back the death penalty. IMO.

Curlybob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:53 pm

It's a very complex issue.

Firstly the Police themselves have voted against it.

Then there is the potential for an arms race if the Police are routinely armed.
We do have one of the lowest gun crime rates in the World and that would suggest at the moment we are doing something right.

There is the issue of Police shooting innocent people. It does happen with the highly trained firearms officers so we could only expect this to increase if all Police were armed. That has the potential to increase the general hostility towards the Police.

Not every officer would necessarily pull the trigger. In the event that an officer was presented with a situation where they felt forced to draw their gun but could not bring themselves to fire it, it puts them and everyone else in danger of that gun being taken off them and used against them or anyone else in the vicinity.
I think that is highly likely given the amount of research showing that most people have a basic aversion to killing someone else especially eye to eye.

The specific situation in Manchester looks like even a fully armed officer would have struggled to take out the attacker without injury given the xxxx had a grenade. Pull the pin and hold onto the spoon and it's a dead-man's trigger.

On balance I'd say we are better off for the way it works at the moment.
If things change so might my opinion.
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:19 pm

I have lived and worked in countrys where the Police carry guns and it did not reduce the crime or the killing of Policemen.

I reckon we are better off not arming the Police in this country as there are relatively few Police killed.

It would become a fee for all as it is in America if the Police all carried guns.

Having said that I would like to see the death penalty back for those who kill any one doing their duty for this country.

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elty on Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:46 pm

karmalite wrote:It's a very complex issue.

Firstly the Police themselves have voted against it.

Then there is the potential for an arms race if the Police are routinely armed.
We do have one of the lowest gun crime rates in the World and that would suggest at the moment we are doing something right.

There is the issue of Police shooting innocent people. It does happen with the highly trained firearms officers so we could only expect this to increase if all Police were armed. That has the potential to increase the general hostility towards the Police.

Not every officer would necessarily pull the trigger. In the event that an officer was presented with a situation where they felt forced to draw their gun but could not bring themselves to fire it, it puts them and everyone else in danger of that gun being taken off them and used against them or anyone else in the vicinity.
I think that is highly likely given the amount of research showing that most people have a basic aversion to killing someone else especially eye to eye.

The specific situation in Manchester looks like even a fully armed officer would have struggled to take out the attacker without injury given the xxxx had a grenade. Pull the pin and hold onto the spoon and it's a dead-man's trigger.

On balance I'd say we are better off for the way it works at the moment.
If things change so might my opinion.

here here.

and the second line says all you need to know.

although it would make the police more of a force to be reckoned with. you'd like to think they would get a little more respect than they do.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum