» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

Old and New Fishing Tackle

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old and New Fishing Tackle

Post by Bob on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:48 am

Over the years I have used lots of fishing tackle, starting with Kit Made Cane Rods and Intrepid Fixed spool for my Carp fishing, going onto Fibre Glass and then Carbon Rods and ABU Cardinal 55 reels and then Shimano baitrunners.

From Centre Pin Reels to the latest Baitrunner and of course a Bait Boat.

But I still like to use the Old Fishing Tackle if the mood takes me, but I can't get my head around this Traditionalist stuff.

Yes I like the the Cane rods, but they are heavy and don't have the crisp action of carbon and yes I like to use centrepin reels, but prefere modern fixed spools if I want to cast any distance ?

What is the appeal ?

Bob

Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Old and New Fishing Tackle

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:57 am

think its simple bob - people want to go back in time to when fishing was a pastime/hobby

i disagree about you comment on 'cane' - a cane rod has a certain 'steel' in their action

you know i spent many years as a pro salmon angler - i've used Hardy LRH rods against the latest carbon and as a fact i can tell you the cane rods land a fish far more quickly

i could go into the 'theoretical science' - but thats not my thing so will only talk from practical experience

heavy rods? - see my earlier post about my B&W Hexagraphs - i was not convinced until i used them - they have an 'action' very similar to cane

yes they are heavy in the hand - but carp rods sit in the rests 99% of the time

but to hook/play a fish i've never met their equal - and i was wanting to find fault - and i still do ref price!

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:05 pm

Bob wrote:Over the years I have used lots of fishing tackle, starting with Kit Made Cane Rods and Intrepid Fixed spool for my Carp fishing, going onto Fibre Glass and then Carbon Rods and ABU Cardinal 55 reels and then Shimano baitrunners.

But I still like to use the Old Fishing Tackle if the mood takes me, but I can't get my head around this Traditionalist stuff.

Yes I like the the Cane rods, but they are heavy and don't have the crisp action of carbon and yes I like to use centrepin reels, but prefere modern fixed spools if I want to cast any distance ?

What is the appeal ?

Bob

The first rod i used was a 12ft split-cane float rod. I was aged 6 I think -1981 - and remember it weighed an absolute ton and was as floppy as stick of week-old celery but I was just glad to be fishing. My next few rods were fiberglass which were an improvement in the stiffness stakes but still heavy. I think I was about 13-14 before I used carbon.
For rods I can't really see the appeal either, for a trip down memory lane then fair enough but I would not choose to use one for anything else.

Reels are slightly different I think in that trotting a stick float with a pin is a different -if not better - experience than with a fixed spool reel. I wouldn't consider it old technology just different. The comparison would be a modern center-pin vs an old center-pin rather than center-pin vs fixed spool.
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm

nick h wrote:think its simple bob - people want to go back in time to when fishing was a pastime/hobby

i disagree about you comment on 'cane' - a cane rod has a certain 'steel' in their action

you know i spent many years as a pro salmon angler - i've used Hardy LRH rods against the latest carbon and as a fact i can tell you the cane rods land a fish far more quickly

i could go into the 'theoretical science' - but thats not my thing so will only talk from practical experience

heavy rods? - see my earlier post about my B&W Hexagraphs - i was not convinced until i used them - they have an 'action' very similar to cane

yes they are heavy in the hand - but carp rods sit in the rests 99% of the time

but to hook/play a fish i've never met their equal - and i was wanting to find fault - and i still do ref price!

nick

Hexagraphs were made of Carbon ?

I still have and use some Cane rods, if I'm feeling in a sentimental mood, but no way is Cane better than carbon.
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:48 pm

karmalite wrote:
Bob wrote:Over the years I have used lots of fishing tackle, starting with Kit Made Cane Rods and Intrepid Fixed spool for my Carp fishing, going onto Fibre Glass and then Carbon Rods and ABU Cardinal 55 reels and then Shimano baitrunners.

What is the appeal ?

Bob

The first rod i used was a 12ft split-cane float rod. I was aged 6 I think -1981 - and remember it weighed an absolute ton and was as floppy as stick of week-old celery but I was just glad to be fishing. My next few rods were fiberglass which were an improvement in the stiffness stakes but still heavy. I think I was about 13-14 before I used carbon.
For rods I can't really see the appeal either, for a trip down memory lane then fair enough but I would not choose to use one for anything else.

Reels are slightly different I think in that trotting a stick float with a pin is a different -if not better - experience than with a fixed spool reel. I wouldn't consider it old technology just different. The comparison would be a modern center-pin vs an old center-pin rather than center-pin vs fixed spool.

karmalite

I like centrepins and I have lots of them, but most top matchmen use fixed spools when trotting with a stick float and good enough for me !!

If we are comparing old from new pins it depends who making the modern pin, is it a proper pin or has it got a bearing ?

There were and are some rubbish old pins out there, as there are new pins !!

Some of the Modern Allcocks Aerials copies are utter rubbish, but have got what is now cult status ?

I believe a lot of this traditionalist stuff comes from collectors and lots of incompetant anglers, who bang on about the good old days and it being a hobby or past time.

Well in my book it still is a hobby and being old enough to own lots of vintage tackle, I use it a bit like driving vintage car's, thats when I feel in the mood.

It's almost Fishing Snobbery and it smacks of eletism !!

Something I'm not too keen on Laughing

Bob

Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum