» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

Carp on the fly.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carp on the fly.

Post by MooseMan on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:08 pm

Hoping there are some of you out there who like the your floater fishing and can advise...

I spent a couple of VERY frustrating hours yesterday fishing for carp on the fly, and had easily 12-15 takes (Easy water with lots of upper single/low double fish) on a deerhair chub imitation.

I was feeding 2 types of floater with slightly different colour/density/shape yet I was still missing most of the takes on the fly. Mad
I managed only 1 fish of around 9lb and a chub!!!

Hook was sharp and everything else seemed fine. What was I doing wrong?
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carp on the fly.

Post by chris63 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 pm

maybe striking too hard. i find when they take they tend to turn quickly - dont strike but pull into the fish as it turns - this improved my hooking ratio
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Also, deer hair can be a little too buoyant, and not go in as far as it might.
Kevin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:57 pm

Maybe the striking thing was the problem Kevin, if I get chance to get out again with the fly rod before the weather turns I'll try what you suggest.

I did think to trim the "Fly" down so it sat nice and low in the film though!
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:45 pm

Im definately up for some of this, i had a go on a fly rod at the weekend and looks loads of fun. Can anyone recommend a decent fly rod and reel thats not going to cost me a bomb obviously once i master the technique il upgrade etc.. also what line do i want?

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:18 pm

Danny, you'll be a commited fluff chucker before you know it! Laughing

Get yourself a secondhand setup mate, a rod of around 9ft and preferably 8-10# line weight. (This wil double up nicely as a Pike fly rod once you are more of a proficient caster) Any basic fly reel will do, an old rimfly or something. This is going to sound wierd but try to spend more money on the line than the rod and reel!
For carp on the top, go for a floating, weight forward line that matches the rod weight, or possibly one notch higer.
Couple of floating loops, a pack of deerhair flies and a spool of 6/8lb copoly and your done!
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Thank you mooseman, i had a go like i said at the weekend and seems exciting, theres a nice small lake near me that love floating baits so can practice on there, i bet its fun on a fly rod when something is hooked..

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:14 pm

If you've got a nice little place close to home where they like it on the top your very lucky Danny, plenty of chances to hone your skills.

When you hook one, even just a lively single, you'll know what a fight is! It's a very different fight entirely on a fly rod, trying to tame an angry carp on basically a couple of ounces of very bendy carbon is hard work. hope you have a strong arm mate!

Enjoy and, keep us posted?
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Sorry, don't know if you fly fish regularly for Trout and are just having problems with the Carp so this may be a little basic.

The difference I've noticed is with the heavier flies the timing can be a be a little different. The Carp will not always turn immediately when feeding confidently which Trout tend to do. The turning i always think helps set the hook in the scissors. I also noticed i was actually pulling it out of the mouth if i struck too quickly. A Carp's mouth and feeding action are different from a Trout. So, I slowed everything down ever so slightly which was quiet difficult with the adrenalin going! With Chub they behave more like Trout taking the fly on the turn.

Basically; make sure you are in touch with the fly, keep the rod tip low and pointed at it and the line mended to avoid bowing.

When a fish takes lift the rod smoothly and quickly with one hand and pull the line down with the other. It's a smooth fast lift vertically rather than a whip cracking strike as if your aiming to lift the line clear of the water.

I found it was the timing/synchronization and combination of the two actions that set the hook most frequently.

I agree with Kevin, the big deer hair sedges i first used seemed to bounce off their noses. I found cutting them down a little bit meant they sat more in the surface film than on it.
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:57 pm

I found I caught a lot more when not looking at the hookbait - use a shortish leader and let them hook themselves against the line weight
Kevin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Guys thanks for all the input so far, loads to get the old Grey matter going.

Karmalite I do game fish, but I wouldn't say "Regularly" really so I appreciate the input, basic or not.
Plus mostly it's for Grayling on fast water, with 3-4# gear so a little different!

I know I definitely pulled the fly out of one or two fishes mouths, so deliberately tried to slow up a little, but it's hard!

Also I was having problems with a few memory coils in the shooting section of the line, which was effectively pulling the line back towards me like a spring, that didn't help!

I have fished this very same water before with the same setup (Possibly a different fly!) and had as Kevin says, fish skating the line across the surface hooking themselves as they steam away when I've looked down to put mixers in the pouch.

Such fun, even when it doesn't go your way.
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 am

MooseMan wrote:Guys thanks for all the input so far, loads to get the old Grey matter going.

Karmalite I do game fish, but I wouldn't say "Regularly" really so I appreciate the input, basic or not.
Plus mostly it's for Grayling on fast water, with 3-4# gear so a little different!

I know I definitely pulled the fly out of one or two fishes mouths, so deliberately tried to slow up a little, but it's hard!

Also I was having problems with a few memory coils in the shooting section of the line, which was effectively pulling the line back towards me like a spring, that didn't help!

I have fished this very same water before with the same setup (Possibly a different fly!) and had as Kevin says, fish skating the line across the surface hooking themselves as they steam away when I've looked down to put mixers in the pouch.

Such fun, even when it doesn't go your way.

It is a good point Kevin makes. If the fish are taking confidently the resistance of the line can set the hook, I have also found that less likely if the bites are more finicky.

It might be worth having an indicator on the line rather than watching the bait, you tend to react to the indicator a little differently i.e. rather than the swirl of the fish you see the indicator move a couple of inches and then strike. I've used a bit of foam threaded on the fly line with a mono stop knot to hold it in place. You'll need to give it a few goes to get the right amount of foam as to much can mess the cast up - well it does for my already bad casting Laughing

It can also be worth giving the fly line a stretch by hand before using it strip 3-4 ft and give it a good pull, even light lines are 20lb+ bs so you should be ok.

The reality is like floater fish it can be one of the most exciting and frustrating forms of fishing but there is something so much more expressive about playing a big fish on a fly rod it's so much more alive.

Last edited by karmalite on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 am

I will definitely try an indicator as you suggest, I'd never even thought of that idea as I like to strike at the swirl. A nice little slice of pop up foam should do nicely so I can trim it, as you say to minimise air drag on the cast.

I really should get into the habit of stretching out my lines before use, but it's always the same, as soon as I see a few takes on the mixers I'm in a frantic sweaty mess trying to get everything sorted to get a hookbait out!
I've found with the fly rod that they are hardly ever spooky so you can cast into fish as soon as they begin feeding, maybe because there's no controller??

MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 am

MooseMan wrote:I will definitely try an indicator as you suggest, I'd never even thought of that idea as I like to strike at the swirl. A nice little slice of pop up foam should do nicely so I can trim it, as you say to minimise air drag on the cast.

I really should get into the habit of stretching out my lines before use, but it's always the same, as soon as I see a few takes on the mixers I'm in a frantic sweaty mess trying to get everything sorted to get a hookbait out!
I've found with the fly rod that they are hardly ever spooky so you can cast into fish as soon as they begin feeding, maybe because there's no controller??

Ha I love that feeling of controlled panic trying to get sorted out and get a bait out as quick as possible, then realising you've forgotten to set the net up, get your mat out etc etc

I've certainly noticed better accuracy with the fly rod after a bit of practice. I feel more confident than casting out a controller and you can really feather the fly down.

Most of my coarse fly fishing is for Perch and Chub. The last time i did Carp was probably 3 years ago as the rod badly cracked at the joint and i never got round to replacing it.
Perch are really really good fun on the fly, wet sparkly flies like Alexandria are lethal. I've managed plenty of double hook-ups using one on the tip and one on a dropper.
Living near the Great Ouse I really could try fly-fishing for Pike if i can get a new rod going to be tricky with all the weight of the wire and big flies probably need a shooting head.
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:31 am

I have access to a canal that holds a large head of decent Perch but I've never really tried the fly for them! Should have done long ago really, but so much else to go for.

I mainly use a shooting head setup for piking mate, super fast sink 9# and with a buoyant "Fly" but you really need to be able to double haul to get the best out of it, 6-8" of bucktail on big uptide hooks and all...
I actually don't use wire very often if at all on the fly setup and have never had a fish even come close to biting me off, they are always neatly hooked in the scissors.
I use a super hard saltwater line for a trace, that I've actually forgotten the name of as I've had the spool for so long! Climax something maybe? American I think.
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:23 pm

MooseMan wrote:I have access to a canal that holds a large head of decent Perch but I've never really tried the fly for them! Should have done long ago really, but so much else to go for.

I mainly use a shooting head setup for piking mate, super fast sink 9# and with a buoyant "Fly" but you really need to be able to double haul to get the best out of it, 6-8" of bucktail on big uptide hooks and all...
I actually don't use wire very often if at all on the fly setup and have never had a fish even come close to biting me off, they are always neatly hooked in the scissors.
I use a super hard saltwater line for a trace, that I've actually forgotten the name of as I've had the spool for so long! Climax something maybe? American I think.

Give it a go for the Perch mate, on the gear you're using for the Grayling it will be really good sport.

I'll see if i can pick up a second rod for the Pike, are you using the same rod for your carping?
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:17 pm

I will do now! I have a box of garish lures somewhere for the ressy rainbows so I will have to dig them out and have a bash.

Yes, same rod for the carp and pike, it's an old Shakespeare 8-9# with a fairly fast tip that's perfect for the shooting head setup I use as it throws a really tight loop, but it's not for the limp wristed!

You'll get by with lighter line weights if you keep the fly sizes down, but I'd hold off until you can get at least an 8# personally.
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum