» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

Marker Floating

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marker Floating

Post by Elty on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 am

How much use does yours get?

I've got to the point now where im almost scared to get the thing out, even on waters with plenty of fish in.

I find that i'll have a quick chuck around on a new water once to get an idea of depths and then thats it with the marker rod.

Never been one for really tight baiting either.

Am i missing out here do you think?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Marker Floating

Post by TomL on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:11 am

Always comes with me , but depending if i'm on my "usual" lake or a new one depsends on how much use it gets .

However , lake beds and depths change obviously so I always have a little chuck about just to make sure , I would rather use the marker for half hour and be spot on than wake in the morning thinking " was that on the spot ?"

Plus it gives you that little bit more confidence IMO .

TomL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:56 am

ive been fishing my water for years and thought I knew it, recently on a session i stuck the marker out and found gravel i never knew was there... Marker is the first thing i check i have, fish feeding over new spots that were previously silt or weed plots are now clear etc...

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elty on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:02 pm

i have always tended to let the fish show me where to throw a hookbait. i have been fortunate enough to fish venues that are either very clear or shallow enough to spot clouded spots etc.

i always have it with me but its a rare occasion that it ever gets used. and all the time im using it i feel that every cast is pushing fish further and further away from me.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Would not be without one, especially on a new water. Obviously, if there are crashing or otherwise obvuious signs, then a single hooker of bag felt down is a better option - or if in small bays a light lead around or trip up a tree to see the spot is best, but I'd hate to be without one.
Kevin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:56 pm

Also - even if if seen fish and cast to them, I'll always have a marker round afterwards - then I know what sort of feature or lakebed or weedgrowth they're feeding near.

If I fish there again and find they're not showing, then I've built a bit of knowledge up to work from. For example, at Horton there was a particular weed - bright green, angular and crunchy - and I only ever found it in areas where I, or others, had caught fish.... Wink
Kevin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lansdell on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:03 pm

never with out mine

Lansdell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:26 pm

I just tend to use a 3-4oz Lead on my spod rod rather than use a marker, not because of the disturbance thing but more because i cannot be bothered to carry an extra rod any more.

A few casts is usually enough to find a spot thats fishable then clip up and walk rods out to the same distance, Clip Spod on if using it and bobs your uncle.....!
Shane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onslow on Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Shane wrote:I just tend to use a 3-4oz Lead on my spod rod rather than use a marker, not because of the disturbance thing but more because i cannot be bothered to carry an extra rod any more.

A few casts is usually enough to find a spot thats fishable then clip up and walk rods out to the same distance, Clip Spod on if using it and bobs your uncle.....!

Do you let a bit of line out to allow for the inswing as the weight drops through the water?
Onslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Depending on the depth of water yes, but not too much as i do like to have my rigs on my side of the baited area.
Shane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elty on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Shane wrote:Depending on the depth of water yes, but not too much as i do like to have my rigs on my side of the baited area.

Total angling that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Onslow on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:59 pm

Shane wrote:Depending on the depth of water yes, but not too much as i do like to have my rigs on my side of the baited area.

I'd love to be more confident doing this especially to work out depths and seem to end up markering for far too long instead Embarassed
Onslow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shane on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 pm

I started doing it out of necessity as i stuck my marker float up a tree!!!

That was probably 2 years ago now i'd say and haven't used one since! To be fair i have fished the water for a while, but i don't really think i'd use one else where now.

If you actually think about it, how much does the depth really affect your fishing? If you found a lovely spot with the Marker Rod but found the depth to be 17' would you decide not to fish it? 9 times out of 10 by just "feeling" the lead down you can tell the depth difference between 2 spots anyway!

Don't get me wrong i have caught plenty of fish by looking for subtle depth changes with a float but i just don't have the time to spend these days trashing the water to a foam before fishing!
Shane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by keegan on Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:35 am

I always use mine, some times i think that i use to much
Sorry to the other anglers on the lake
keegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Elty on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:16 am

went for a swim on my lake on saturday (theres is a triathlon club that use the water on saturday mornings) and was interesting to speak to the regulars on the water and ask them what they thought was out in front of them compared to what actually was.

most thought that the silt was only a couple of inchs deep whereas it was close to two feet of very soft stuff in most places. a lot of known spots were actually a lot bigger than people thought as well.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum