» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

bait boats

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: bait boats

Post by Danny on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Gaz - I hope you dont take pictures of them fish you have caught whilst that rod has been sat on the alarm and woke you up whilst you was sleeping cause that would be bang out of order, i mean without that you would of had no rod or reel when you woke up ...

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaz1 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 pm

i only fish days fella no need for alarms,and certainly no toy boats!

gaz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:54 am

gaz1 wrote:i only fish days fella no need for alarms,and certainly no toy boats!

No answers then ?
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaz1 on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:30 am

Bob wrote:
gaz1 wrote:i only fish days fella no need for alarms,and certainly no toy boats!

No answers then ?

no answers to what bob?

gaz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:10 am

keep it civil lads please and on thread - thank you
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:36 am

Bob wrote:Why is it that when ever there's a thread on Bait Boats someone always comes up with " Learn To Cast " comment ?

I don't know anyone who can cast 300/400yds ?

And I'd rather use a Bait Boat than row the baits out, especially in the dark !!

So on Big Open Waters I use a Bait Boat.

Far safer.

Bob

So is it safer to use a good Bait Boat on large waters, rather than rowing out your baits at night ?

On waters with a small head of fish and large arceage of water it's often the only way to get the baits too the fish.

And yes I counted and photographed all the carp I have caught from these waters.

Bob

Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:37 am

baitboats are still allowed on Clumber - lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggles on Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:51 pm

I have a Microcat mk1 and have used it on and off for years.
Very steady in rough water but particles wash out unless you put a bead of silicone around the edges of the hoppers. Vaseline the bits you don't want the silicone to stick to.
Most accessories are available elsewhere other than the AT main site but it's an individuals choice. Some prefer the comfort of knowing that the AT kit is definitely going to work.
Saying that I've never had a problem using batteries from elsewhere, charge indicators and leads.
I use my own sonars for swim mapping and drop leads out of the boat to get the range in rod lengths - that way it's repeatable and future-proof (unless someone fills in the lake or it silts up over years).
On some waters I've found that fish don't appreciate spodding, balls of groundbait or throwing stick hundreds of baits on their head and can 'do the off' for 24 hours or more - not good angling if you only have a quick overnighter once a week and one weekend a month to fish. That's when the bait boat can help out with feeding quietly and dropping your lead without any noise.
Each to their own and it does feel better when you cast but, like any other tool in the box, there's a time and a place.
Same thought process goes for my bic 252 and electric outboard, bucket with the bottom cut out, wading into the margins and stepping on my lead to bury it and same with the leadcore and line and fishing round corners using a cane.
Anyone who refers to bait boats as 'toy boats' has missed the point and are probably missing the point on many other concepts in angling - which is a shame.
Muggles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:20 pm

Muggles - top post

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaz1 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Bob wrote:
Bob wrote:Why is it that when ever there's a thread on Bait Boats someone always comes up with " Learn To Cast " comment ?

And I'd rather use a Bait Boat than row the baits out, especially in the dark !!

Far safer.

Bob

So is it safer to use a good Bait Boat on large waters, rather than rowing out your baits at night ?

personally wouldn't use a baitboat,day or night bob,been at it too long to start cheating now.

On waters with a small head of fish and large arceage of water it's often the only way to get the baits too the
fish.

if your happy...thats what counts fella.

And yes I counted and photographed all the carp I have caught from these waters.

as above^ ^ each to there own i suppose,funny not many guys mention in there catch reports in the magazines that they positioned there rigs with the aid of a toy boat? less merit perhaps...

keep on kidding yourselfs guys!

gaz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gaz1 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:17 pm

[quote="Muggles"]I have a Microcat mk1 and have used it on and off for years.
Very steady in rough water but particles wash out unless you put a bead of silicone around the edges of the hoppers. Vaseline the bits you don't want the silicone to stick to.
Most accessories are available elsewhere other than the AT main site but it's an individuals choice. Some prefer the comfort of knowing that the AT kit is definitely going to work.
Saying that I've never had a problem using batteries from elsewhere, charge indicators and leads.
I use my own sonars for swim mapping and drop leads out of the boat to get the range in rod lengths - that way it's repeatable and future-proof (unless someone fills in the lake or it silts up over years).
On some waters I've found that fish don't appreciate spodding, balls of groundbait or throwing stick hundreds of baits on their head and can 'do the off' for 24 hours or more - not good angling if you only have a quick overnighter once a week and one weekend a month to fish. That's when the bait boat can help out with feeding quietly and dropping your lead without any noise.
Each to their own and it does feel better when you cast but, like any other tool in the box, there's a time and a place.
Same thought process goes for my bic 252 and electric outboard, bucket with the bottom cut out, wading into the margins and stepping on my lead to bury it and same with the leadcore and line and fishing round corners using a cane.
Anyone who refers to bait boats as 'toy boats' has missed the point and are probably missing the point on many other concepts in angling - which is a shame.

in what way does it feel better when you have cast muggles? Laughing

gaz1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:19 pm

Non bait users stop crying it don't interfere with your fishing, let people do what they want as long as they are happy why should it worry you?

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 am

Danny wrote:Non bait users stop crying it don't interfere with your fishing, let people do what they want as long as they are happy why should it worry you?

exactly - it does not interfere with your fishing

Muggles is also correct - on short sessions dropping a lead on their 'head' is the kiss of death - ditto spodding

Gaz fishes a water i've fished for over 40 years - know it rather well

in the early day (before Gaz fished it) you could drop a 4oz lead on their heads and get a pick up whilst setting your indicators - not any more

and thats why the catch rate has dropped - no longer walk the 'out of bounds' areas and spot fish (plus throw in some bait) then go back to the 'fishing' bank and cast too them

they will not tolerate this anymore - in fact many swims are now 'fished out'

you now have to set 'traps' in advance - and the boats help in that respect - no disturbance and all is quiet - plus the gulls etc are no problem

some talk about the 'ethics' of the 'Walker' generation - having known xxxx Walker (more in a trout fishing sense rather than carp) i can say as a fact that he would have been the first to use a baitboat if they were available!

Back to top Go down

Post by TAB on Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Its pretty narrow minded to completely slag off the use of bait boats. As so many people have said, each to their own. If using a baitboat is cheating then where do you draw the line? Am I cheating to prebait an area for weeks to draw the fish in rather than going and finding them? Am I cheating to stay mobile and fish lots of areas rather than stay in one swim for the whole session? There are so many things that could be deemed cheating but in another persons eyes be seen as good angling.
I have used a baitboat maybe twice in 2 years because it made sense under the conditions in which I was fishing.
Every time we are on the bank, we make decisions based on the situation we are faced with and the use of any kind of boat is just another tool in an ever growing armoury to try and improve our chances.
TAB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:16 pm

gaz1 wrote:
Bob wrote:

Far safer.

Bob

personally wouldn't use a baitboat,day or night bob,been at it too long to start cheating now.

On waters with a small head of fish and large arceage of water it's often the only way to get the baits too the
fish.

if your happy...thats what counts fella.

as above^ ^ each to there own i suppose,funny not many guys mention in there catch reports in the magazines that they positioned there rigs with the aid of a toy boat? less merit perhaps...

keep on kidding yourselfs guys!

And how old are you Garry ?

As you do put your age in your profile ?

And as so many others have said here, it's personal choice.

There is only one person kidding themselves.

Bob

Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:02 am

Maybe he's real jealous cause he can't cast and can't afford a boat now that would have an effect on ones fishing loool

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muggles on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:53 pm

[quote="gaz1"]
Muggles wrote:

in what way does it feel better when you have cast muggles? Laughing

Gaz,
I've been fishing since I was 4 years old so I've been fishing now for 45 years.
I started off catching Sticklebacks in 'Winters Pond' - which also had some very big Rudd (2oz) and a huge Tench (12oz) - and progressed through a natural evolution (including match fishing at the highest level) to the carp fishing that I enjoy today.
On a river, I feel much happier fishing a Stick or Waggler rather than using a pole because I when I learnt to fish, casting out was my only option.
By your terms, I would suspect that you would think that pole fishing is cheating.
You don't cast out, you can't help but to be accurate when placing your bait, you can feed by putting balls of groundbait and loose feed in a cup and just tip it into your swim, you don't have to use the skill of 'mending your line' when wind and flow are from the same direction, you can drop your rig and bait without making a sound and I could probably keep adding to that list until you get fed up reading it.
By your terms, I would suspect that you think there's no skill in Pole fishing but you would be wrong.
You have to have used a pole in competition conditions to see the difference in skill levels between the worlds elite and the also-rans. I'm not about to go into it in too much depth but, take it from me, that skill is obvious when you open your mind and take a look at it.
I have no doubt that there's nothing that I could type here that would make you change your mind but think on this;
When you use a bait boat you don't cast out, you can't help but to be accurate when placing your bait, you can feed by putting balls of groundbait and loose feed in it and just tip it into your swim, you don't have to use the skill of 'mending your line' when wind and flow are from the same direction, you can drop your rig and bait without making a sound...
Do you see what I'm getting at?
Just because you don't agree with an aspect of angling doesn't necessarily make it wrong or without skill or less 'worthy and you are entitled to your opinion because it's YOURS.
Spouting ridicule towards people who are obviously good anglers because they do something that you wouldn't or couldn't do is poor form in my opinion and it says much more about you than it does them.
How about we applaud every capture you make, whether it be 10 or 40 pound in weight because we know, that in your eyes, it was 'good angling' - we'll look out for them in the angling press.
How about you look out for ours and give them a begrudging nod in the knowledge that we might not have used a boat on that occasion - and even if we did there might have been some skill there that you might not be aware of?
Respectfully,
Mike.
Muggles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by keegan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:55 pm

Might get myseft, one of them procats, they look like they might come in handy.
I think that it might fit in my rucksack lol
keegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:03 pm

That would be cheating

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by keegan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:09 pm

Yes your are right, but thats why i want one Very Happy
keegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by keegan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:49 pm

Danny wrote:That would be cheating

Sorry i forgot to say that baitboats are banned on my local lake
keegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:01 pm

Does anyone know anybody in the Oxfordshire area that can mend bait boats. I got mine out a few weeks ago after not using for a few years and it lost radio control once 20 foot from the bank. Its only a cheap boat that came from fishtec but would like to get it repaired for the occaisions when i want to use it.
chris63

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:04 pm

chris

Model boat shops will usually repair Bait Boats and a lot cheaper that the makers.

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:13 pm

good idea bob - best i get the search engine working on model shops
chris63

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm