Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» The Special Album
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:44 am by Chris Ball

» Check out our events coming up!
Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:03 pm by Stoney

» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin


Dropping the lead

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dropping the lead

Post by Floaters on Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Picture the scenario.....

You get to a new water, which is silty and very weedy - out comes the marker rod and you have a good lead around.....

Bingo.... amongst the vast weed you find a nice clear spot at say 60 yards. Now obviously this clear spot will be your plan of attack and dropping the lead is a must due to the thick weed.

Question.........

Due to the vast weed, obviously everybody that's found a clear spot on the water will fish on it. Do you think that all the other anglers that have fished this spot prior to you have made a difference to the lake bed by dropping vast amounts of leads?

Obviously it's not a clear spot if there's leads scattered about but the picture I'm having is line resting on previously dropped leads instead of being pinned to the deck and/or the end rig doing the same or even a bottom bait say,resting against a dropped lead/leads - obviously a chod would work better but would the dropped leads have much impact on bait and rig presentation?

Discuss..................

Floaters

Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Lincolnshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by TAB on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:23 pm

A very valid point but I would say you are worrying too much Smile
There is always likely to be something on the bottom that our rig/ bait will come to rest on/against.
avatar
TAB

Posts : 28
Join date : 2012-08-14
Age : 41
Location : Farnborough

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Floaters on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:15 pm

TAB wrote:A very valid point but I would say you are worrying too much Smile
There is always likely to be something on the bottom that our rig/ bait will come to rest on/against.


Thanks for your input TAB. I'm not worrying about it, I was happily thinking away about a new weedy water I plan to join. The old grey matter really kicked in and one of the thoughts was this one so I just wondered what other peoples thoughts were regarding it.Maybe I was thinking too deep just like my post about the line, nothing wrong with keeping my cells active though I guess! Laughing

Floaters

Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Lincolnshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by TAB on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:26 pm

I think those swimming pigs are so busy eating boilies in that hole in the weed they probably aren't even aware of the leads dotted about!
avatar
TAB

Posts : 28
Join date : 2012-08-14
Age : 41
Location : Farnborough

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Floaters on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:29 pm

yeah but I am! Laughing

Floaters

Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Lincolnshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by reaper on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 pm

no different to a stone on the bottom, what i would be more concerned about is will all those dropped leads have any affect on the quality of the water over time.
avatar
reaper

Posts : 24
Join date : 2012-08-13
Age : 50
Location : Wiltshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by karmalite on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:17 pm

1. If the carp are actively feeding on the spot then the lead(s) have a good chance of being buried or moved by them over time.

2. How likely is it that its dropped at exactly the spot where it settled? Depends on how you set it up but i'd expect some movement is necessary for it to drop or for it to catch on the weed to release it.

3. You worry too much Shocked
avatar
karmalite

Posts : 20
Join date : 2012-08-21
Location : Cambridgeshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Elty on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:19 am

i think you'd need to be talking about a serious amount of leads! like 100s and 100s.

clear spots often close up once the natural food dries up too. anglers try to keep them open but then they get hammered and fish stop using them. ergo the spot closes up and another opens up wherever the next hatch of bloodworm or whatever appears.

the burying remark is also a valid one i think. good bit of thinking outside the box i reckon.

also consider how long people have been angling with leads and even uncoated leads going all the way back to the 50s. there must already be plenty of lost leads in certain lakes. ok there are more people fishing now and more leads being left in the lake but none of the old fishing lakes seem to be having water quality issues due to leads? or am i wrong on that?

_________________
Making it happen!
avatar
Elty

Posts : 113
Join date : 2012-08-13
Age : 33
Location : Molesey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by karmalite on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:31 pm

Elty wrote:i think you'd need to be talking about a serious amount of leads! like 100s and 100s.

clear spots often close up once the natural food dries up too. anglers try to keep them open but then they get hammered and fish stop using them. ergo the spot closes up and another opens up wherever the next hatch of bloodworm or whatever appears.

the burying remark is also a valid one i think. good bit of thinking outside the box i reckon.

also consider how long people have been angling with leads and even uncoated leads going all the way back to the 50s. there must already be plenty of lost leads in certain lakes. ok there are more people fishing now and more leads being left in the lake but none of the old fishing lakes seem to be having water quality issues due to leads? or am i wrong on that?

In most cases i would think that metallic lead in water would be insoluble. Wet lead in the presence of air (oxygen) could produce a coating of lead Hydroxide which is soluble in weak acids or alkalies. So there is a theoretical risk that an uncoated lead could form a very thin soluble lead hydroxide layer which would dissolve in water.

Lead will also react with sulphates and phosphates the resultant products being insoluble in water. I suspect that this would be the preferred reaction of lead reducing the risks even further.

In peaty acid soft water metallic lead might dissolve but how many carp waters are we talking about with that water chemistry?
I've fished small trout streams in Yorkshire and Cornwall with those conditions but the water chemistry seems to go against rich bio-diverse environments. One tiny river in Yorkshire I trout fished did have a warning about lead contamination but the river ran through a disused lead mine giving some idea of how much exposure would be required to produce a noticeable level of contamination.

Water chemistry might play a part with an alkaline pH yielding some small additional increase in solubility, however alkalinity tends to come from carbonates and carbonates in the presence of lead would form another insoluble layer of lead(II) carbonate.

Given the ease or recycling lead weights into new ones and the cost of lead it would probably be economically viable to recover lost leads from some lakes.

avatar
karmalite

Posts : 20
Join date : 2012-08-21
Location : Cambridgeshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Kevin on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:50 pm

I sorely doubt the issue of contamination is an issue - in aquariums I used to use loads of lead to hold down plants and wooden ornaments - never had an issue, and this is a far higher exposure that lost leads.

As for lost leads littering a spot - I actually laughed - they're hard enough to spot on the lakebed, and if they'll feed over anything.
avatar
Kevin

Posts : 96
Join date : 2012-08-13
Age : 40
Location : Basingstoke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Elty on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 pm

karmalite wrote:
In peaty acid soft water metallic lead might dissolve but how many carp waters are we talking about with that water chemistry?
I've fished small trout streams in Yorkshire and Cornwall with those conditions but the water chemistry seems to go against rich bio-diverse environments. One tiny river in Yorkshire I trout fished did have a warning about lead contamination but the river ran through a disused lead mine giving some idea of how much exposure would be required to produce a noticeable level of contamination.


.......and im fairly certain that fluff chuckers aren't as obssessed about dropping the lead as we are! so no real problem there!

_________________
Making it happen!
avatar
Elty

Posts : 113
Join date : 2012-08-13
Age : 33
Location : Molesey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Kevin on Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:35 pm

but the river ran through a disused lead mine
avatar
Kevin

Posts : 96
Join date : 2012-08-13
Age : 40
Location : Basingstoke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Kevin on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:32 pm

line resting on previously dropped leads instead of being pinned to the deck and/or the end rig doing the same or even a bottom bait say,resting against a dropped lead/leads

Do you ever fish over gravel?
avatar
Kevin

Posts : 96
Join date : 2012-08-13
Age : 40
Location : Basingstoke

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by karmalite on Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:54 pm

Kevin wrote:
but the river ran through a disused lead mine

confused
avatar
karmalite

Posts : 20
Join date : 2012-08-21
Location : Cambridgeshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by carpmanjay on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm

i wouldnt be concrened either, clear spots change shape as the fish feed anyway and most leads will drop once it hits the weed anyway so the clear prob is most probably clear.

carpmanjay

Posts : 26
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Colchester, Essex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:11 am

Kevin wrote:I sorely doubt the issue of contamination is an issue - in aquariums I used to use loads of lead to hold down plants and wooden ornaments - never had an issue, and this is a far higher exposure that lost leads.

As for lost leads littering a spot - I actually laughed - they're hard enough to spot on the lakebed, and if they'll feed over anything.

very valid point

sometimes 'carpers' just find the need to discover another 'problem'?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Floaters on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 pm

Kevin wrote:I sorely doubt the issue of contamination is an issue - in aquariums I used to use loads of lead to hold down plants and wooden ornaments - never had an issue, and this is a far higher exposure that lost leads.

As for lost leads littering a spot - I actually laughed - they're hard enough to spot on the lakebed, and if they'll feed over anything.

Pleased I made you laugh!

Floaters

Posts : 18
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : Lincolnshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dropping the lead

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum