» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

Secret Pleasure?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Secret Pleasure?

Post by sweetbreams on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:54 pm

My beloved bream aside to catch a very big uncaught Common carp from a low stocked large estate lake .
sweetbreams

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonboy85 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:13 am

I would love to get a big perch, preferably from a large res from a boat on a small jig head! Very Happy

would also love a few big roach from a river in winter when there is a frost on the ground.

Jonboy85

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 am

karmalite wrote:Fascinating stuff Nick Smile
To lose those fish though, I would have been devastated.

That Salmon I saw was a brute. It was trapped in a deep pool on the far bank but not much more than 40ft away. The river upstream was simply too shallow for it to get much further and it knew it. It also seemed to know there was rain coming. I watched it jump clear of the pool at least once an hour for two days. I could see it clearly speeding up to make a leap.

On the catch and release subject. I personally would want to eat it so not a huge issue, unless the fishery had other rules in which case the choice is out of my hands.

I don't know if you've ever caught mullet on a fly rod but that can be extremely good sport. I do regret not getting to try for the Bonefish in Australia but all the more reason to go back one day.

thank you

yes, sometimes i look back and think 'what if'? - but i'll never know

salmon are the most enigmatic of fish and can drive you to distraction

i've known guys spend thousands over the years never to catch one!

but others are 'lucky' - back in the early 90's after i'd moved to Scotland i got married and my wifes cousin came to the wedding - an excellent coarse angler but wanted a chance at the salmon on 'my' beat

after a rather boozy lunch i agreed to give him a chance (had a driver) - dreadful conditions - mid afternoon with bright sun - literally after the second/third cast he hooked a sea liced grilse on a huge Toby Salmo lure - captured on VHS!

you think carp addictive - salmon are far, far worse

Back to top Go down

Post by gloucesteroldspot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:16 pm

My catch records are rather odd. I've had a four pound perch, a pound plus dace, a two pound river roach and a twenty pound river pike, but I've yet to get a big bream or chub or carp. I'd really like a double-figure bream, preferably by design. I've had 'em to about eight pounds when carping, but the really big ones always avoid me. When I started fishing the main target was roach and bream, and whilst the roach were fairly regular visitors it was seeing people catch these great big bronze slabs of three, four - even five pounds (don't laugh) that inspired me. Moreover, I vividly remember Alistair Nicholson's run of big Queenford bream that dominated the Angling Times headlines in the mid eighties. I really should make the effort this year.

I'd also like to get a thirty pound plus carp. I've never had one, though I've lost a few. However, it must be a naturally grown fish and preferably not one with a name, a national insurance number and a credit history.

I'd also like to get another two pound plus river roach; I caught one years ago from a Lea sidestream, but I've not managed to beat 1lb 10oz since. Also, another 1lb+ dace would be nice.

Of course, when I say another, I really mean lots more!

gloucesteroldspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:08 am

gloucesteroldspot wrote:My catch records are rather odd. I've had a four pound perch, a pound plus dace, a two pound river roach and a twenty pound river pike, but I've yet to get a big bream or chub or carp. I'd really like a double-figure bream, preferably by design. I've had 'em to about eight pounds when carping, but the really big ones always avoid me. When I started fishing the main target was roach and bream, and whilst the roach were fairly regular visitors it was seeing people catch these great big bronze slabs of three, four - even five pounds (don't laugh) that inspired me. Moreover, I vividly remember Alistair Nicholson's run of big Queenford bream that dominated the Angling Times headlines in the mid eighties. I really should make the effort this year.

I'd also like to get a thirty pound plus carp. I've never had one, though I've lost a few. However, it must be a naturally grown fish and preferably not one with a name, a national insurance number and a credit history.

I'd also like to get another two pound plus river roach; I caught one years ago from a Lea sidestream, but I've not managed to beat 1lb 10oz since. Also, another 1lb+ dace would be nice.

Of course, when I say another, I really mean lots more!

if you want a double figure bream come and see me in Notts for a few days - i can literally guarantee you one by 'design'
( a friend had 5/6 doubles in an hour one morning)- also same water gives you an excellent chance of that 30lb+ carp!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tigger on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:40 pm

karmalite wrote:Think it would have to be a big Salmon.
I was Trout fishing on the Wye in Devon many years ago when I witnessed a 20lb+
Salmon leaping in the pool I was fishing.
It stayed there for a couple of days and then there was an almighty tree-felling storm, the river rose incredibly quickly and it was off.
The power of that fish would have been incredible, I didn't even bother trying to catch it on the gear I had it would have been stupid.

Is there a River Wye in Devon Question
Tigger

View user profile http://seonag-racing.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum