» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

Secret Pleasure?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Secret Pleasure?

Post by TugWilson on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I've fished for most species over the years and many people know that I've spent a fair bit of time chasing eels but I'd love a monster bream. What's your secret (fish related) pleasure; what specimen would you love to catch?
TugWilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Secret Pleasure?

Post by CarpJunkie on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:43 pm

Mid double figured Tench or better, had a few just over 10lbs but would love a big one.
I am the same as you with bream, had a few descent slabs from various places but would love to get a upper double or even over the magic 20lb mark..
CarpJunkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustang on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:25 pm

I would love to catch a four pound plus Perch.

Mustang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:52 pm

Think it would have to be a big Salmon.
I was Trout fishing on the Wye in Devon many years ago when I witnessed a 20lb+
Salmon leaping in the pool I was fishing.
It stayed there for a couple of days and then there was an almighty tree-felling storm, the river rose incredibly quickly and it was off.
The power of that fish would have been incredible, I didn't even bother trying to catch it on the gear I had it would have been stupid.
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 pm

Double figure Zander !!

I have had a number of 9s, but can't get past the double mark.

Still, who knows it could be just around the corner ( off the Ouse that is Laughing )

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:34 pm

So many to choose from!

Although, to see a 3lb plus Grayling sliding towards me across the surface of a Welsh river would pretty much do it for the time being... Very Happy
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 pm

Ha ha, just noticed Bob, I like your little friend there!
Mine was sat on the footpath looking a bit dazed and confused, so I gave him a helping hand.
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Moose, the picture was taken at Fishers Green a few years ago, he was so tame you could feed him maggots by hand, brilliant little character !!

There more to fishing than fishing !!

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by norwich lad on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:31 pm

Like to get a decent grayling one day as never had one! but i would like to get a big rudd, lovely looking fish. my p.b is relatively small at 1-1/2lb . be nice to catch a 3 + by design.
norwich lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmaduds on Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 pm

For me there are two fish I want to catch over the next couple of years.......another 20lb Pike, but on the fly, and any size Carp from my Syndicate water!...coz I cant get bugger all from it no matter how hard I try!........ Mad
fishmaduds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MooseMan on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 am

Indeed Bob, my general interest in everything "Wild" is often detrimental to my fishing when I'm on the bank.

I'll setup, leave the rods against the bivvy or whatever, then go off into the woods looking for Cep's, or picking wild garlic leaves for my next curry!

Fishmaduds you have a PM.
MooseMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponty on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:55 pm

I've caught some very big stillwater roach but would love a 2lb river roach, and a 30lb river pike to beat my current best of 28lb 14oz would be rather special. Add in a 4lb perch...I could go on and on here but will stick with these for now!
Ponty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HAPPYANGLERALEX on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:43 pm

A few days ago I fished between two willows, a small flock of long tailed tits arrived, then some blue tits, then a pair of gold crest, and in the background a barking deer looking for a mate, and among the lilies a carp cruised, sometimes a fish-less day can be very relaxing.

HAPPYANGLERALEX

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fishmaduds on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:50 pm

HAPPYANGLERALEX wrote:A few days ago I fished between two willows, a small flock of long tailed tits arrived, then some blue tits, then a pair of gold crest, and in the background a barking deer looking for a mate, and among the lilies a carp cruised, sometimes a fish-less day can be very relaxing.

Your spot on Bud...I love looking at Tits all day long too!........ Twisted Evil ..... cyclops

Does that mean I go on the naughty step now?....... Question

Last edited by fishmaduds on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
fishmaduds

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TugWilson on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:55 pm

Ponty wrote:I've caught some very big stillwater roach but would love a 2lb river roach, and a 30lb river pike to beat my current best of 28lb 14oz would be rather special. Add in a 4lb perch...I could go on and on here but will stick with these for now!

After year's of moaning about perch being a pain and robbing my bait intended for eels, I'm hoping to have a crack for a big perch this autumn. Newborn permitting... (ie emphasis on the "hoping"!)
TugWilson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clive Bradley on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 pm

Oi, neighbour, when you go, drag me along as well!
Clive Bradley

View user profile http://www.clivebradleyfishing.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 pm

karmalite wrote:Think it would have to be a big Salmon.
I was Trout fishing on the Wye in Devon many years ago when I witnessed a 20lb+
Salmon leaping in the pool I was fishing.
It stayed there for a couple of days and then there was an almighty tree-felling storm, the river rose incredibly quickly and it was off.
The power of that fish would have been incredible, I didn't even bother trying to catch it on the gear I had it would have been stupid.

'big' salmon are a bit of a 'problem'

i'm not going to teach 'grandma' to suck eggs but i will give a few facts based on quite a few years fishing for them

as you know they are migratory fish that do not 'feed' once they leave the sea (and thats not even quite correct as they loose their 'teeth' well before they enter fresh water)

so every salmon that enters a river system is living on 'stored energy' if you like? - which is why catch and release is such a contentious subject in that they cannot feed to replenish lost 'calories'!

so, the fight of a salmon?

i've had 6lb grilse (one sea winter feeding) take longer to land than say a 25lb fish that has been in fresh water for say six weeks and has deleted much of its 'reserves?!

BUT - get the right fish thats recently entered the river system and the fight can be stunning (not on the tarpon scale) - i've seen an ABU Ambassadeur reel stripped of 180yds plus of line - i've seen another fish played by a ghillie friend for two hours - it never moved than about 25yds and 'sulked' behind a rock - hook pulled in the end!

so how many of these really big salmon still enter the UK river systems? - very few - the satellite tracking etc of the shoals off Greenland etc mean its very hard for a salmon to have three sea winters' that it needs to become 40lb+

but to me the salmon is still the greatest challenge of all UK fish

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:51 pm

and the one thing with salmon is you only get one 'chance'

unlike a lake with a 'captive' population - a lost salmon is gone for ever as it moves upstream

i have 'lost' two salmon that still haunt me - and i've had a few 30+ fish

one was hooked from the boat with myself and the ghillie fishing - think it was april 2000/1? - can check records

rod went round and a heavy weight was immediately obvious - from a boat you have to select a suitable bankside landing site - 99% of salmon can be lead like a dog on a leash it you maintain steady pressure

so effectively you can 'tow' them to a suitable landing site

not this one!! - it would not follow the boat - gain a yard - loose two yards - we thought t would have to be landed on the beat downstream (Dunkeld House Hotel)

suddenly it 'kited' onto a gravel shelf - a tail the size of a builders shovel showed - hook pulled!!!!!

about two years later i hooked a fish on the worm in high water - stripped off an easy 100yds of 20lb Stren - after about 10/15 minutes i had it circling below me in a deep pool - but as i only had a net i knew i was in problems as i was standing on rocks about six feet above the fish - i needed a gaff

(and yes though barbaric its the only safe way to land big salmon) - gaffed trough the head Norwegian style (thats another story)

i tried to get near to net the fish - it was inches away and unlike most worm hooked salmon this one was hooked in the scissors

long story cut short - hook pulled!!

how big? - definitely 40+

am i sorry? - yes and no - it got away because truthfully if i'd landed the fish it would have been smoked salmon!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Curlybob on Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Had Pike to 20, 10. Perch 3lb,, want to beat both weights in the coming months,

Curlybob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoney on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Id always fancied catching a nice Zander, until Mr Lyddon decided to knock it off the hook Evil or Very Mad

View user profile http://www.stoneyandfriends.org.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Blonde_Tim on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:46 am

The rivers in winter. especially big river roach. just unbelievable fish.
Blonde_Tim

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by karmalite on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:10 am

Fascinating stuff Nick Smile
To lose those fish though, I would have been devastated.

That Salmon I saw was a brute. It was trapped in a deep pool on the far bank but not much more than 40ft away. The river upstream was simply too shallow for it to get much further and it knew it. It also seemed to know there was rain coming. I watched it jump clear of the pool at least once an hour for two days. I could see it clearly speeding up to make a leap.

On the catch and release subject. I personally would want to eat it so not a huge issue, unless the fishery had other rules in which case the choice is out of my hands.

I don't know if you've ever caught mullet on a fly rod but that can be extremely good sport. I do regret not getting to try for the Bonefish in Australia but all the more reason to go back one day.
karmalite

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny on Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am

Tench for me or rudd lovely looking fish...

Danny

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Campen on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:21 pm

TugWilson wrote:I've fished for most species over the years and many people know that I've spent a fair bit of time chasing eels but I'd love a monster bream. What's your secret (fish related) pleasure; what specimen would you love to catch?

A Tench around the same size as the one your holding would do me fine Tug, thats my tartget for next spring. I've got the right ticket, just need to get some time!.
Joe Campen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by keegan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am

I would love to catch a big pike,might have a chance in the winter when my lake goes
To 3 rods later in the year
keegan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum