» POP UPS AND SILLY CARP.
Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:58 pm by Gary Bills

» Fish recognising an anglers voice !
Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm by Gary Bills

» Link to Carp Society Show
Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm by Stoney

» Event Details
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am by Stoney

» The Big One, Carpin' On and the Northern Angling Show - we will be there - will you?
Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:04 am by Admin

» Ricketts Mere Syndicate Fish-In
Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm by Admin

» Predator Day - 14 Feb 2015
Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:10 pm by Admin

Reservior Trout Fishing Set up ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reservior Trout Fishing Set up ?

Post by Bob on Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:35 pm

I'm going to do a bit of Reservior Trout Fishing from the bank and was wondering what the ideal set up is now days ?

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Reservior Trout Fishing Set up ?

Post by norwich lad on Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 am

bob, i do little fly fishing nowadays.but 6/7 yrs back i fished a few larger stillwater's for trout and std ank set up was a 10ft 6" or 11ft 6-8 line rated rod with a wf7 cortland flyline. done the job for bank casting.

otherwise i just used a 9ft 5-6 rated for general bits. out of date now maybe.

maybe worth buying a trout fisherman salmon trout mag.if there still made.lee.
norwich lad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:03 am

Thanks Lee,

I get a copy of Trout Fisherman !!

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarpJunkie on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:21 am

Bob,

Used to do Grafham Water during the coarse closed season and fished from bank and boat.

Ideally you need a lightweight but powerfull 12ft rod that is capabable of casting a weight forward (WF) or a double taper (DT) 8 or 9 line. I would have both a fast sink and a sink tip line to cover majority of levels from the bank (as some dam walls shelf off quick).

A good pair of waders is a good bet to as it can get you further out away from the bank and aid casting, as you dont have much to catch on the bank.

Tight Lines buddy..
CarpJunkie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks CarpJunkie,

I will be fishing Walthamstow, as it's not far from where I live.

Good information.

I can go for a couple of hours if the mood takes me.

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:24 pm

CarpJunkie wrote:Bob,

Used to do Grafham Water during the coarse closed season and fished from bank and boat.

Ideally you need a lightweight but powerful 12ft rod that is capable of casting a weight forward (WF) or a double taper (DT) 8 or 9 line. I would have both a fast sink and a sink tip line to cover majority of levels from the bank (as some dam walls shelf off quick).

A good pair of waders is a good bet to as it can get you further out away from the bank and aid casting, as you dont have much to catch on the bank.

Tight Lines buddy..

sorry but i would have to disagree?

12' 'trout rods' are very few are far between apart from a few 'loch style' rods that use aFTM 5/6 lines - AFTM 8/9 lines are only suitable for lures

you also missed the fact that the most versatile stillwater 'line' is the intermediate - can be used with a 'sink tip/fast sinking' leader to give multiple options

you cannot effectively fish nymphs/emergers etc with 8/9 lines

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:44 am

nick h

What would your suggestions be ?

Thanks

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Salt on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:08 am

Optimum casting length for most bank work seems to be 9'6". Buy the best rod you can afford-secondhand is a good way of getting a quality rod. For Walthamstow I would use a 9'6" 7# rod with a matching line if you are a competent caster. If your casting is short of good (like mine), then it pays to go up one on line weight, so a 7#rod with an 8# line. This loads the rod more easily, and aids casting. A good floating line is a must (cheap lines are a nightmare). Snowbee lines are excellent value for money, and are my first choice. Most of my trout fishing now is on a floating line, with a very long leader and slow retrieve if the fish are down in the water. An intermediate line is useful if the fish are down a little deeper, and a sinking line can be invaluable in the colder months, or when it is very bright. Reels are just line holders, so any cheap large arbour job will do, unless you are a bit of a tackle tart! The advice to buy a trout comic is sound, as they often do rod and line comparisons.

Mark Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Thanks Mark,

As as you well know I'm certainly not a tackle tart ?

I have a Rimfly somewhere that should do the job and will get hold of a s/h 9ft 6inch fly rod with a No.8 line Laughing

Thanks

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Salt on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:50 pm

Bob wrote:Thanks Mark,

As as you well know I'm certainly not a tackle tart ?

I have a Rimfly somewhere that should do the job and will get hold of a s/h 9ft 6inch fly rod with a No.8 line Laughing

Thanks

Bob

Is that you, Mr H?

Mark Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 am

Yep !!

Could never be accused of being a tackle tart !!

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Salt on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 am

Bob wrote:Yep !!

Bob

My apologies-I didn't know it was you! If you want company when you fish there let me know-I walked round it the other day and thought that I ought to have a go this autumn.

Mark Salt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:48 am

Mark Salt wrote:
Bob wrote:Yep !!

Bob

My apologies-I didn't know it was you! If you want company when you fish there let me know-I walked round it the other day and thought that I ought to have a go this autumn.

Yes Mark,

That would be good, once I've got the tackle together .

Bob
Bob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 am

Bob wrote:nick h

What would your suggestions be ?

Thanks

Bob

sorry for the delay in replying

Mark Salt has answered your questions very well

if you want good advice and tackle at the 'right' price i suggest 'Sparton' run by Steve Parton who is one of the uk's best/most innovative stillwater trout anglers

Back to top Go down

Post by gloucesteroldspot on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Most rods are capable of handling one line size up or down from their rated weight. After all, whatever length of the suggested line is aerialised, you can get the same loading by increasing or decreasing the length and using a lighter or heavier line respectively. Suppose your rod takes a #7 line; usually they're rated on the basis of aerialising ten yards of that line. If you aerialise twelve yards of #6 line, the total load beyond the rod tip is the same. Or eight yards of #8 line.

Reservoir trouting requires a wide range of techniques, from dry fly or small imitative nymphing/drifting teams of buzzers, to searching the water with traditional wet flies, flashers and small lures, up to big lures and streamers on longshank size 6 hooks. You'll use a floating line for the dry fly and surface layer nymphing, but an intermediate may be better for deeper nymphs/shallow lures, and a medium sinker for deeper lure work. Occasionally you'll need a fast sinker to work a big lure along the bottom of thirty or forty feet of water.

You can do all these with one rod, by having different line densities and different weight ratings. A typical set up might be a nine foot six rod for a number seven line, paired to a reel with four spools containing: a number six double taper floater (remember that aerialising an extra two yards of line equates to one line size smaller, so a seven-weight rod designed to lift ten yards of number seven line will aerialise twelve yards of number six, or fourteen of number five, and still maintain the same loading condition), a number seven weight forward intermediate line, a number seven weight forward medium sinker, and a number eight fast sinking shooting head cut to eight yards, spliced to Amnesia mono (or one of the modern floating shooting head backings.

All these lines will load the rod the same. A double taper floating line is my preference because it enables me to aerialise any length of line (up to a manageable maximum, dependant on wind) whereas a weight forward will tend to collapse in the air if you try to lift off much more than the heavy head section. For the sinking lines a weight forward is better, as you can't lift off any amount of sunken line anyway, so you retrieve to the start of the heavy head section, roll the line off the water into the air, then lift off and re-cast. For the fast sinker a shooting head is better as there's less underwater resistance in a shorter head length, which helps protect against leader breakages and hook pulls; it's also the easiest kind to cast a long way, and if you plan to fish deep you must be able to cast far enough for the line to sink down without ending up hanging vertically from the rod tip, or else you'll just fish your lure upwards towards the surface instead of horizontally along the bottom. Even with a forty yard cast you'll only get about fifteen yards of straight retrieve before it starts to lift, if fishing forty feet down.

gloucesteroldspot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:25 am

Silly question (well for those that know it will sound silly)for you fluff flinging experts. I purchased a basic fly kit a number of years ago. The Floating line came with a loop in the end so attaching a leader was easy and obvious. The intermediate and sinking lines didn't.
What is the best way to attach the leader to these lines as anything I've tried looks messy!!
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:01 am

you can buy packs of braided leader loops - cover salmon and trout sized lines

very easy to apply as they come with the loop and 'sleeve'

Back to top Go down

Post by chris63 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks Nick - that looks an easy solution. I thought there might be a special knot/whip/splice i was meant to learn but the leader loops look ideal for a fluff numpty like me Smile
chris63

View user profile http://www.clinicaldomcare.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum